Cables 101, new student, first question

I have a simple question if I can get it worded correctly. For simplicity, let's say my system has four interconnects in a "stream," all from the same manufacturer, some from the top of the line and some from the bottom. Example: Wireworld's Eclipse 8 line, four different versions, the least expensive starting at $325 and the most expensive starting at $1700. In general, will the system's sound be defined by the weakest (cable) link in the chain, in which case all the more expensive cables are a waste of money? Or will a mix of cables that includes some really high-end ones sound better than a consistent run of the cheaper stuff? 

To put this a different way, if I'm buying a couple new interconnects (again, for simplicity's sake from the same maker), might buying better ones improve the sound or will I not hear a difference until I've replaced them all? (Here's the stream analogy: if I put a dam upstream, the flow in the entire river will be reduced.)  

northman
I've put a $2k interconnect in that system. So I know what I'm talking about.
  classic statement   Yes
At a certain price point you account for the quality of the materials and assembly of most cables. This then becomes a world of differences not improvements. Millercarbon actually does make a good point-- you have to take the time to learn how to listen, and I would add one thing to that-- don't waste your time making snap judgements. Sometimes hearing differences also includes trading one perception (mental focusing) for another.

This is why if I make a system change (I like to think I'm making an upgrade) I try hard to set my snap (or blink) judgements aside and just live with the change for a while, listen to a lot of different music, and slowly come around to my opinion as to whether or not I believe, from a lot of listening, that it is indeed better -- better for me.

Again, Millercarbon's comment on replacing his speakers with a much less expensive set that, to his ears, sounds better-- then it is better. There's no arguing the absolute truth of a proposition like this because we're all different and we all hear differently.

I'm not saying that junk will sound as good as something decent or better, just that at a certain point it's a matter of taste-- and that taste is ultimately a personal thing that cannot be objectified.

Every system, every room, and every person is different. Especially when listening over time, everyone will respond differently to the same stimulus  based upon the biggest variable of all-- you. Never fall into the trap that more money equals better sound and therefore more enjoyment, it just ain't so-- no matter what that salesman or that review or that advertisement says. Learn to relax and to just listen to the music and not the gear-- you'll find your truth in time. 

erik_squires10,202 posts
12-24-2020 11:46am
Here's what I suggest:
Build yourself a pair of cables with DH Labs solid silver and KLH silver plugs.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/DHLABS-57225.html

Tell me if anything you ever buy sounds better.
Best,
Erik

This so true.
Also post at another thread that the DH Labs BL-1 is so underated.
I should have mentioned, while the best sounding cables I've ever heard, the BL-1 is brittle due to the single strand construction.  So go easy on them after soldering.
@clearthinker
you guys should hold Tekton man to account on his cable painting misinformation.
You're dead on, Tekton man, as you call him, is full of it and misinformation too.