TUBE BIAS, socket to me!

BIAS: (I'm starting from zero understanding) 

I have never measured/adjusted bias in the 3 tube amps, 3 tube receivers, and 2 tube preamps I have acquired over 47 years. I just switched my current Cayin from 6550's to KT88's. Adjust bias? Adjusters inside, scary electrocution warnings. I could pay someone else to do it, i.e. Steve at VAS 1 hr away in NJ, soooo, 

What really counts? (personally I don't care about either heat or life, but would like to understand)

Heat?
Life?
Output stays Matched when adjusted?
Acoustic Performance?
_________?

Over the years, fronts off, bottoms off, I hose em down with contact cleaner/lubricant, compressed air, all controls and switchers, any adjusters, swish full spin back and forth. Kill any spiders, look for, replace the rare burnt resistor. 
Then leave any adjusters (whatever they are) in the middle position, button it back up.

Two tube testers, my big hickock always agrees with small portable one, test strength, shorts, matched strength old and newly purchased. Large collection of NOS, used. Often used test essentially same strength as new ones.

When they go, it's usually a short.
elliottbnewcombjr
ya and Roger.  M ( rip genius ) spent man years.....wait for it....building MUCH better tube testers....

Elliott, your 110z is a treasure, enjoy it in good health
My Cayin is A88T version 1, which has 16 ohm taps for my 16 ohm speakers.

It has no external bias adjuster, no bias meter, and no switch for tube type.

Later versions drop 16 ohm tap, add external bias and bias meter.

So, it’s bottom off, multi-meter alligator clips, screw driver, ON, electrocution or success!
@oldhvymec, the old Hickok testers and the like tested MUTUAL CONDUCTANCE at low voltages, not at the operating voltages that they were likely to see. Makes a huge difference.
Would you pressure test a gas cylinder that routinely is filled with hydrogen at 2000 lbs by checking it with only 500lbs of pressure? Of course not, wouldn't even dream of it.
So why would you test a vacuum tube that runs at 450 VDC plate voltage with 100VDC or less. Sure, it can tell you that the tube is conducting but not how well it will conduct under a real load. That's best left to either testing in the actual amplifier or a modern tube tester like a Amplitrex AT1000 that can put up to 500VDC and 160 milliamps on the plates. There is another modern tube tester that sells in kit form that can test to much higher voltages as well. Both of these testers tie into a laptop computer and can plot curves for the tube under test. THAT's the kind of tester that can match tubes, not the older ones. Neither is cheap, I'd love to have one myself.
Not saying that the older tube testers are worthless by any means, they can be used for testing shorts (very important), gassy tubes and microphonics along with a doing life checks and basic health. But to match up tubes? NOT. That is best done either with one of the advanced testers or in the amplifier itself and a test meter. Anyone telling you different is either ignorant or trying to get over you. The best tube sellers today are using the latest test gear, the old TV7 type tube testers were the shitt years ago but old tech today. Times have changed my friend and this new tube testing technology is awesome.

BillWojo
Elliott, it may still be autobias unless you found out otherwise. A tube amp that has autobias has no test points or meters, like my MC40 monoblocks. But, just because it has none of those doesn’t mean it has autobias. Most older tube amps didn’t have that stuff, required you to get in there and measure. No chance you have a schematic?
Can you contact the company and get some info?................................................                                             On Edit: I searched and found biasing instructions and emailed them to Elliott. It is not autobiasing.

BillWojo
Thanks Bill,

I've been asking this because I knew that, thanks for sending me the instructions.

Working inside, plugged in, serious warnings: You know I love to do it myself, but not this, at least not until I see it done by someone who lives to explain what not to touch!

Steve at VAS will do it while I wait/watch, so I'll schedule something when you and I can get together to go there.