Do speaker wires matter

I recently was given a pair of Mirage M1 speakers. All highs, mids and lows work but I don’t believe they sound like they should.

The tweeters are not giving the detailed highs. I am not sure if the mids and lows are where they should be.

i am currently using a vintage 2226b Marantz I just had restored. Impedance is 8 ohms and it only puts out 26 wpc. I know these speakers require A much more powerful amp. I’ve done a little research on this.

im wondering if the speakers could not sound as good because of the Marantz and/or also because of the speaker wires I’m currently using. I don’t know what gauge they are. They were given to me as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

i did also find a Mirage technician in Canada who still repairs them if I’ll have to take that route. No turning back now 😊
em2music
back in the 70's or 80's my brother in law sold stereo equipment.in those days he said that speaker wires don't matte! all these expensive speaker wires back then were to make money!!??
Make sure there’s a jumper between the bidding post from BLACK HF TO BLACK LF and RED HF TO  RED LF 
Vintage Marantz recievers are usually only capable for 8 ohm loads, and those cheesy spring clips to hold speaker wire suck. 
I suppose you could run Speltz anticables with bare Amp ends, but your still at 26 watts of power. 
Yeah powering those behemoths with 26 watts would be akin to pushing the Titanic with a pair of Evinrudes. I had a pair of M5s and drove it with the Acurus A250-terrific match, and using original monster cable.
Not being familiar with the speakers, and having not read thru all the replies, are there any adjustable pots on the speakers that could possibly be padding down the tweeters?  (apologies if that's been brought up)