VPI Classic Setup By Brian Walsh

Hello Everyone, 

Just wanted to give a quick review of my experience with Brian's professional setup. In a nutshell highly recommended.  Thought I had my Classic setup pretty well as I spent at least 3 hours and I have to say it was fun.  My 1st setup by myself.  However, after thinking about how much is invested why not take it a step further and let a professional dial it in.  I have to admit I was amazed at the difference.  Once the tonearm hit the record an immediate improvement was heard.  The obvious difference was the overall balance and decay. Each instrument was noticeably more evident and overall clarity much improved.   I won't go into a lot of audio mumbo jumbo but bottom line Brian's tools and software are a no brainer. He provides each measurement such as azimuth, system resonance and crosstalk just to name a few via charts and graphs with his software. Afterwards the results are emailed.  In closure highly recommended and Brian will not leave until he is satisfied with the results.  

Sam
Ag insider logo xs@2xsamzx12
I wish it was that simple. Every setup is different, although I set the overhang and offset angle consistently and follow the cartridge manufacturer's recommended tracking force. Optimum azimuth varies, even between identical cartridges. And then once in a great while there’s a cartridge that doesn’t measure well and may in fact be defective. Such was the case with a setup I did a few weeks ago, where there was 2.4 dB channel imbalance, and one channel’s crosstalk performance was poor. The cartridge was replaced under warranty, and on my recent return visit the new cartridge measured fine, as expected, and the client is very happy. So I take each setup as it comes, without preconceived notions of how things might go. By the same token my experience helps me evaluate and make adjustments efficiently and accurately.
I hope this helps.
I have had a Classic 1 with Kleos cart for seven years. It was very complicated to master the adjustments at first, but now it is just a breeze. That's why many people give up on it and VPI has moved on to non unipivot arms. I have zero desire to change TT, the full range of adjustments available on this table are absolutely amazing once figured out. Mine sings.
The Original VPI Classic is a monster of a turntable. HW modeled it after the early Empire turntables with the big “4-hole flange” Hurst motors in front left motor position as the Pabst were done. Later models/versions with smaller motors in the rear are unfortunately not in the same league.
Ancient VPI Classic?....   I have a Superscoutmaster..even older.  However I changed the drive to the rim drive, I tossed the arm for the printed 10, have the 2nd pivot, got the Classic platter, wired it for balanced operation.  Good to go