I admire Miles Davis, i admire Stravinsky; but i loved Chet Baker and Scriabin...You?

What we listen to we cannot trace always a border between cold or cool admiration and heart wrenching love at first sight....

I admire Bach without limit but i love also him dearly....Here admiration and love are one....

The first time li listen to Chet Baker i was not even sure if it was a great trumpetist, but i love him without knowing why....

More i listen to Miles Davis more i admire him but i still wait for love to come....I like it a lot but it is not love and i know the first time i listen to him why he is a great trumpetist, unlike Chet, his mastering of the instrument was evident.... For Chet i listen not the trumpet but the voice of his instrument, i even forgot he was playing the trumpet and the question if he was great was secondary....Miles was great without any doubts.... But i am in love with Chet because he touch my heart.....

Sometimes the frontier between these 2 are less clear, i admire Brahms but i like him more than i love him.... Bruckner i admire him like a new Bach and i love him like our old grandpa with a feeling that will never end....

I admire Monteverdi at the level of my admiration for Bach, but i like him only , it is not this passionnate love that changes my heart and life like with those i love...

I love Bill Evans dearly but i admire Keith Jarrett greatly but without any passion....

I admire and love Vivaldi at the same times.....

I admire Telemann, Haendel, Haydn more than i love them..... I am in love with Purcell tough and Josquin Desprez.....

I admire Hildegard the Bingen and i love her without words.... I am in love with the organ composer Pachelbel but i only admire Palestrina....

I admire Arvo Part very much, but am i in love? No....Excep perhaps for one or 2 of his work: Alina for example....I admire and love Gorecki symphony of tears but not much the rest....Only respect for the rest of his works....

I admire Arrau, Horowitz, many pianists but am i in love? No, but i am in total love with Ervin Nyiregyházi , Ivan Moravec, or Sofronitsky....

I admire the composer Sorabji almost like Bach but dont feel any love at all....Deep fascination and admiration for a genius  that never speak from the heart to the heart, only from his brain to my brain.... But what a genius ! 

I admire many, many, female singers, but i am in love with only a few, i love Billie Holiday, Marianne Anderson for example....

I will not go on with my list any longer...

But what speak to our heart and what speak to our brain is not the same and sometimes some music speak for us to the 2 part of ourselves...

But one thing must me clear, i dont want to live without the great musicians whom i only admire. I like them like interesting friends, even if i am not changed by love at first sight with them, swimming in the sea of adoration....

What are those you admire but only like ? What are those you clearly are in love with?

When the brain speak first and always, it is admiration and friendship not love.... In love there is a mystery in with we participate and which transform our life....

Those who we admire gives us pleasure.... Those who we love gives us not only that but an ultimate meaning that go to your heart.....

Listening music is learning to listen into the many levels in us where music can reach and transform us.... Each music or musician has this potential to change us at a level or at another one, or at all levels simultaneously....But for sure it is different for each of us......

I apologize if my OP makes no sense for some.... I hope my question will make sense for some....

Thanks......

128x128mahgister
I feel the same about many of the folk and r&r artists of the 1960’s, 70’s and 80’s. I was listening today to Gordon Lightfoot’s album "Gord’s Gold". It occurred to me how sad it would have been if Gordon Lightfoot had not been here to write all those great songs.
You are right a great artist...... i deduce you  love him much....

Merry Christmas to you....
I like Chet Baker except when he sings.  I have tried so hard to warm up to his voice but I simply can't connect.  To my ears his voice comes across thin as water, lacking both soul and conviction.  One of the least compelling voices I've ever heard....but I dig his trumpet playing.  His trumpet has a voice with the nuance and conviction that his voice is lacking.
I discover Chet for his trumpet voicing.... i understand perfectly your point all the more that his body voice is particular and his singing change a lot with time....I then understand that like any body voice, this voice could not appeal to all...

I confess i love his body-voice BUT i love Chet Baker for his way to voice the instrument so much that at some times you forget completely the trumpet playing and remember only the singing of the trumpet and speaking of the trumpet in your heart...

Like i said i discovered many years ago Chet Baker and at first i was surprized a lot by the impactful way he speak with the trumpet like anybody else....I was surprized because i have the impression that many other trumpet players are on par and even better virtuoso than him, for example Kenneth Wheeler is a genius like Miles Davis.... Kenneth Wheeler that i like a lot very much to the point to want all his cd like Miles Davis....But none of the 2 put tears in my heart....Except Chet Baker....

Why?

Interestingly i discovered a trumpet player, a classical one, that have the same natural and moving voicing of the instrument....Andre Heuvelman in his album " Silence"....Interestingly Heveulman succeed his career in spite of a shorter arm infirmity at birth, in some way a tragedy that gives him a fragility, a humility, and a simplicity that is similar impeding event than the drug disease of Chet Baker, in spite of the great difference coming from their training histories and style.... By the way Chet Baker also relearn himself to play without any dentition after an attack and he succeed what seems impossible and reach even greatest musical  heights or deeper state after that test event.... Heuvelman also learn to go over his impediment and became the first trumpet of the Rotterdam philarmonic orchestra...Like Chet his "sound" is warm and cool at the same times and speak directly to the heart, you will completely forgot that it is a trumpet.... Astounding for me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yERDKKbWx70

Then the question to know if Baker is a virtuoso of the trumpet begins to fade and to be secondary after some time for me, unlike the others trumpetists that we can listen to in the virtuoso scale where for example Miles Davis is at the top with few others... But then Chet Baker is on a scale of his own almost alone.....That explain the great love for many toward him....

His playing is a drama obsess with melody where he take refuge against himself and against the world, nothing else....It is this humility in his failings, and his simplicity in admitting them that touch the heart when he play....Listen to Andre Heuvelman who plays in the same scale for analogous reason....

Thanks for you interesting take on Chet....

Merry Christmas to you three_easy_payments
Know just what you're talking about mahgister. For years I admired Mozart but never loved any, not at all. Classical music as a whole was kind of like that- liked some, admired some, never really loved any of it. 

One day by accident someone helped me make the connection with composers, realized Tchaikovsky turns me on, now I have just ordered my 3rd Tchaikovsky White Hot Stamper and am stoked and amazed at the coincidence because UPS notified me it was delivered just now!  

What I really love of course is the combination of superb music with beautiful recording. This is another fantastic coincidence because I just last night heard the new Patricia Barber Cafe Blue. Which is not new and I've had it a long time but on CD and this is the new 45 Impex 1Step pressing and oh my God what an experience!  

Can't say I am in love with Patricia Barber, per se, but I admire the talent on this record and absolutely love the way it sounds. The songs are all very different. All of them I get what they are doing, but some of them I LOVE what they are doing. Why some and not others? Why'd I love Jennifer Warnes Bird on a Wire first time I heard it? Why'd I fall head over heels for Born in Time? That's the million dollar question.