adcom equipment.....

this might have been posted before, but has anyone heard or know anything about the new adcom line.  that, 575se model intrigues me at that price point.

kennesawjet
So to finish off my little saga, I’ve got about 80 hours on the big Adcom now. I’ve used little Tannoy DC4T speakers and the previously mentioned Infinity Primus 362, as well as the Energy CF-70, which I returned.

On the Infinitys, it’s a completely different presentation than the Energys. Nice and open at first, but discomfort after a while. I changed out my silver coated copper wire Morrow interconnects, and put a warmer speaker cable on them, Wireworld Oasis 7. After running that in for a couple of hours things smoothed out a lot. But as I’ve been changing speakers a lot as I experiment with the Adcom, they’re not the best to work with.

The Tannoys are different again. These ones are easy to please. I believe their impedance is pretty steady at 8, while the Infinitys vary a fair bit. The Tannoy also is much less sensitive at 88 vs 93 or so. The sound with the Adcom was much better to me. More balanced, more pleasing overall, and images just as well.

This morning I wanted to compare the 565SE to the 555MS, Adcom’s smallest amp in current production. So I installed the 555 and let it warm up for an hour. Interesting, it sounds better on the Infinitys than the 565, but of course with less dynamics that 250 wpc can do. Anyway, to compare detail, I used some Dianna Krall songs I know well. Then I put the 565SE back in.

With the same Dianna song, I could immediately hear that the piano was more accurate and real sounding. I wasn’t expecting that. A better soundstage as well, just a nicer presentation. It really is in another class.

So the 565 has more than just muscle to bring to the table. I would say the voicing is a little more foreward and open than the 555MS, and I could definitely hear this with the Infinitys, too much of a good thing. But on neutral speakers or onto warm, if that’s your preference, the 565SE can shine. One thing, I've got a little heavy metal music.  With the Infinitys and the 565, the sound was a tour de force!  I can't explain why...

I was experiencing good tight bass when I had the Energys playing loud, so the Adcom doesn’t lack there either. I can’t compare it to a mega bucks amp, but I really think its a price leader for the power rating. I think Emotiva’s XPA amps are around the same price, and the Oddyssey amps should be considered, although they are less power.

Here's just a footnote of sorts to my story.

I take back my findings on the Infinity Primus 362 or the Adcom 565SE being on the forward side.   I really can't say for sure what the Adcom is, its kind of disappeared as it were.  Above I had mentioned this, and that the Infinitys were difficult to work with.

I decided to leave them in the system as I wait for my Kefs to show up(apparently they may be coming from the UK, the Dealer wasn't sure at the time).  Over time, the infinity speakers have warmed up, so to speak.  No overly forward soundstage that gives me ear fatigue.  No brightness or harshness.  Not that they are warm sounding, but they seem to have really good detail in the mids and highs.

My preamp is the Schiit Audio Freya+, and I made another discovery.  With the tubes engaged, and everything warmed up, real magic happens with those Infinitys.  The Tweeter is better than I thought, and this SS amp/Tube pre combo is amazing at times.

One song stands out so far.  The Gypsy Kings, Hotel California.  The intro is magical, just magical.  When the lead guitar makes his first full strum, the detail and exactness is better than I've ever heard it.  Not too bad for some old cast off speakers that I picked up on Craigslist for cheap.  I'm using silver wire IC's to the amp and source, and Wireworld Oasis 7 speaker cables, which are said to be warm.  
And I forgot to add one fact I found out about the Infinity Primus P362. It turns out the model is a 4 ohm speaker with an impedance curve that wanders under 8 ohms down to 4 ohms for much of the frequency range. But the placard on the back says 8 ohms, which is kind of a curve ball from Infinity.

on what my current gear is:  Schiit Audio Freya+ preamp, Adcom 565SE amp, Schiit Gungnir Multibit dac, Nad C565BEE cdp.  Cables by wireworld, Audioquest, morrow and Pangea.