Ayre Codex vs. ESS SABRE ES9010K2M (Yamaha AS801)

Hey all:

I'm thinking about purchasing a Yamaha AS801 which has the ESS Sabre DAC in it.  I have an Ayre Codex presently.  Wondering if the Yamaha DAC would be a good replacement for the Codex or if I should buy a DACless amp and keep the Codex.  Does that make sense?

Thoughts appreciated.

soundchasr
Well, I found the AS801 for a good price so I grabbed it. This will be an interesting experiment. Will the onboard DAC be able to compete with the Codex....
More importantly, will I notice a difference.

PS - Source is FLAC or Tidal. Speakers are Onix Rocket 750 or Ohm Walsh. 
Congrats on the A-S801, @soundchasr.  I've had one for a number of years in a second system, and think it is a great value.  Read the 6moons review on it if you haven't already - "The A-S801 pounds hard on that HighEnd door."  The variable loudness is great for low volume listening.

I'm using the internal dac in the 801 - and it is good enough for that system - connected to TV and a modified Sonos Connect, Wharfedale Denton Speakers and small sub.   Very nice sound.  I recently changed the power cord to a Audio Envy 3p - nice upgrade in SQ in my system.

Like jjss49, I would posit that the Arye Codex will be a significant upgrade over the internal dac.  If you still have the Codex, would be great to hear your results of using it with the A-S801.  What is your digital source?
@sfseay 
At 699 is there another amp that sounds as good with the same features? 
There’s a NuPrime IDA-8 available here now for $600 I’d take over the 801 (not sure if it has all the same features though). You can read the reviews.