Message from the Past: We were never against tone controls

For those of us who started being audiophiles a very long time ago, we have a message for you all:

We were never against tone controls. We were against poor sounding tone controls, and many of them were. From bass / treble nobs to 1/3 octave equalizers, they all were almost universally garbage.

That was decades ago. Now things are in some cases much better, or at least, not nearly as bad sounding as a poor recording.  Stop using guidelines from the 1980's to decide what to do.

You are not obligated to sit through a performance without adjusting the music to suite your tastes. It’s OK to boost the bass, or turn down the treble for your liking. You have all the permission you need.
erik_squires
@three_easy_payments

I'm trolling. It's obvious I'm trolling, and yet, people will allow themselves to be trolled. :)
Quad plowed its own furrow with Tilt controls.  (Nothing to do with pinball, either.)
Permission?
We don’ need no stinkin’ permission.

It's in the implementation. The future "super" Loki will give the Cello Palette a run for the money.
Not the only brand, twoleftears .

Several did this.  The M&K SB speakers for instance had an impressive amount of built in tone controls, executed by fairly high number of parts in the crossover.  Ative speakers often have one of the best options too, to compensate for room placement.
I’m a tone control person. I use a passive preamp when I want/need to.

Why not have the feature, makes no sense to me NOT to have it..

If the recording need a little bass bump, you just toss the recording?

Really what do you do if the recording isn’t what you like?
BUY another one?
Make another one?
Turn the TONE knobs? YUP that’s me..

The people that scream NO tone control, get in their cars/PU/SUVs/RV and what do you do? Turn the music up and play with the Fader, Balance, Bass boost, Treble.. You folks are funny.. WE ALL use it..

Remember, when they added springs to TT, LOL now it’s all the rage, they call it vibration control, great idea, 70+ year old idea.. BUT a great idea none the less.. My Thoren, Garrard, Sparta, Russco, Fairchild, QRK, and EMTs all had bladder/springs vibration control. The youngest in the bunch is 65 years old.. Older is better..

Tone control BIG PLUS 1 from me, it’s an OLDER idea, with new TEC.
Great stuff, DSP, PEQ, on the fly monitor, on the fly correction...
BASS Heaven, NOW...

What it tilt control? Did I read that right? TILT? 

Regards