Under $2000 speaker for McIntosh MA6500

I recently purchased a used McIntosh MA 6500 integrated amp. Could any of you make suggestions for speakers under $2000 that would mate well with the amp and my room? My listening room is 24' x 19' with 9ft ceiling. I'm now using a pair of Athena AS-F2 with good results, but am looking for something better. Input and any suggestions would certainly be appreciated -Adam
128x128waxwaves
Can you give a couple examples of speakers you have heard and like/don't like. Also how loud do you like to play music? Are you looking for full range (hard to find at that price) or can you like with a speaker that only goes to 40hz?
You can't go wrong with a used Vandersteen 2CE signature II, around $1800. I have this speaker and being driven with my mac. MC2100 The sound quality is just phenominal.
Thanks for the good response fellows. In response to Bjesien, an example of a speaker that I don't like would be Polk LSI9. This speaker is sounding like it is playing thru a fog, the bass is overemphasised and muddled, and high frequency seems to be a bit rolled off. The Athena AS-F2 I'm listening to now better the Polk in almost every way. I did enjoy the Vandersteen 2C that I once used with an NAD C372. I also enjoyed the sound of Allison Model Nine and a pair JBL 4425 large studio monitors with a horn and a 12 driver on the bottom. I listen to music fairly loud sometimes, 12 o'clock on the McIntosh MA 6500 volume control is not uncommon, but usually lower. I'm afraid I will not be happy with a smaller speaker and will need a full-range floorstander.
Mac ma6500 and Revel m22s have been phenomenal for me. Full bodied , detailed and musical all at the same time