Is this the solution to LP static issues?? Seems to be!

Last night i was listening to a superb original RCA white dog pressing of Lena Horne and Harry Belafonte ( if you can source this, i highly recommend it!) 
I noticed that all of my prior LP's were exhibiting considerable static attraction to my felt mat on my LP12. Not this one!!! How come, since the LP was played at the same time as the others, in the same system, the same room temperature etc.?? I noticed on the cover of the album the following large sticker: Miracle Surface, This record contains the revolutionary new antistatic ingredient, 317X, which helps keep the record dust free, helps prevent surface noise, helps insure faithful sound reproduction on Living Stereo.  

Whatever this additive is that was put on this album back in 1959 sure works well!! Anyone know what 317X is?? Why are we NOT using this stuff today??
128x128daveyf
@mijostyn,

Your summary of CFC's is wrong.  All manufacture of  Class I ODS substances were banned in 1996 - and this included all applicable  refrigerants and solvents.  Class II ODS (HCFCs) are now banned or will be shortly.  Good heavens man, I was awarded an EPA Ozone Protection Award in 1995 for my Navy work in reducing the use of CFC-113 solvent  in precision cleaning of Navy life support systems.  I am intimately familiar with the whole CFC phase out and my follow-on work made me intimately familiar with the global warming issue with many refrigerants.

But you have confused chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) with chlorinated which are completely different.  The 'chlorinated' product you are using is the one that contains perchloroethylene - the human carcinogen.  The CRC Brake Clean Chlorinated SDS is here -  Grainger SDS Lookup.  
Not sure how my thread went from inquiring about the age old anti-static formulation that RCA was using on their vinyl, and which seems to work like a charm, even decades later...to: Brake Cleaning fluid used to clean one members LP's!! Just goes to show how fast these threads can and do go off rail!! LOL
Not sure how my thread went from inquiring about the age old anti-static formulation that RCA was using on their vinyl, and which seems to work like a charm, even decades later...to: Brake Cleaning fluid used to clean one members LP’s!! Just goes to show how fast these threads can and do go off rail!! LOL

Why address the original question when you can have a food fight instead. Ah ... the joys of the interwebz ;-)

I stopped hanging out here for the longest time, primarily because of the snark factor and poor signal to noise ratio. I suppose that the passage of time has taught me how to filter it out for the most part, so there’s that ...

... Thom @ Galibier Design

@thom_at_galibier_design   Well Thom, I did learn that there is a member who uses Brake Cleaning fluid on his records, and to him I am Victorian. There is that, lol.