Anyone listen to Zu Audio's Definition Mk3?

Comparisons with the 1.5s and the others that came before? Getting the itch; again......
128x128warrenh
Phil, your analysis is a very clear explanation of what I think is going on. It's quite a surreal experience to have all the positives of digital (stable timing and consequent lack of time "smear", image stability) with all the advantages of analogue that even the best cd replay can't approach (tonal density, soundstage transparency, microdynamics etc) in record replay for the v. first time.
Your detailed comments on the Def4s are really giving me confidence that cd, tt and spkrs will be performing as of their best, esp. the idea that all the drivers will be of a greater holistic match providing a greater dynamic seamlessness to the sound produced.
Beyond what Phil mentions (and, admitedly, this may be peculiar to my set-up) is that off-axis listening is markedly better with Def 4s. Plus they can be placed closer to the back wall.
After all, the loudspeaker -- even a good one -- is the most egregious contributor of distortion of all the gear in the chain, and it functions into an acoustic space interface that further influences it.

Absolutely true. That's why so few speaker manufacturers offer "distortion" specs like other components.
Phil, short of a lottery win I'm never going to be a Zu Dominance spkrs owner, but since you've heard them, can you relay further impressions?
A few things concern me about their design: firstly the baffle is v. wide, surely there may be diffraction effects esp. since surfaces are flat and not curved? Secondly, even though I know 90%+ of the output into the treble comes from the FRDs and 3 of these should be v. positive, are there not beaming effects from having separated tweeters above and below these pointing towards the listener?
Since the Def 4 seems to have cracked off axis listening, won't this positive aspect be negated in the Dominance, by creating more of a hotspot type listening experience, one of the things I hate about a lot of high end spkrs (Magico, Martin Logan come to mind)?
>>firstly the baffle is v. wide, surely there may be diffraction effects esp. since surfaces are flat and not curved?<<

Narrow and wide baffles simply present different advantages and liabilities. You'll notice that the trend for many full-range small driver speakers is for very wide baffles to move the edges further from the waves-source. Here, the wider baffle is a net asset and it shows in the speaker's increased precision and clarity. I mean for you to understand that *everything* is clearer with Dominance than Definition. It should be at about 4X the price!

>>Secondly, even though I know 90%+ of the output into the treble comes from the FRDs and 3 of these should be v. positive, are there not beaming effects from having separated tweeters above and below these pointing towards the listener?<<

As others have noted, off-axis listening is broadly improved by the nano drivers and the Radian compression supertweeter in Def4 over Def2 and other Zu speakers not equipped the same. There is more sonic focus from the listening positions -- notice plural. The lateral range of useful listening positions for Dominance is as wide or wider than Def4, as and where I heard them. If the tweeter doesn't particularly beam in the first place, this design doesn't introduce beaming. It does introduce greater focus anywhere in the lateral listening window of optimum soundstaging.

>>by creating more of a hotspot type listening experience, one of the things I hate about a lot of high end spkrs (Magico, Martin Logan come to mind)?<<

The off-axis listening isn't compromised and the sonic focus of the Dominance's 3D baffle does not create a spikey hot spot. You don't hear selective spike in spectrum energy that characterizes "hot-spot" errors. Dominance is on the contrary, even smoother and more relaxed sounding than Definition 4, and however it measures for efficiency, its perceived behaivor is that it's more dynamic, burstier and capable of convincing performance without losing tone, on even less power than is Definition.

What else can I say? Dominance is the best speaker in overall music terms that I know of and the best loudspeaker I've heard in over 40 years of hearing music through hifi gear, including the industry's proclaimed "best" for that whole span and earlier. Dominance is the best speaker I've ever heard. Period. And yet eventually Zu will make it better still.

Phil