Streaming vs CD transport direct comparison

Yesterday we had a day at a friends comparing the title to this thread.
System consisted of:
  • Speakers — Wilson Alexia series 2
  • Amplifier — Gryphon Audio Antileon EVO
  • Preamplifier — Supratek Cortese or Lightspeed Attenuator LDR passive or source direct (we used the Supratek for instant a/b ability)
  • Sources — Digital: 432Evo Music Server Roon Core (owner has found Roon to be the best)
  • Yamaha CD-S2100 as transport,
  • Totaldac d1-core DAC.

We A/B both (levels matched) CD to 432Evo (streamed, saved and/or to H/D) with a number of albums same versions, classical, jazz, soft rock, hard rock.
The overwhelming consensus of all 5 listeners (some that "were" originally very pro streaming) was that the CD was firstly clearly more dynamic, had better separation and was blacker background between notes and it was also clearer through the vocals that were hard to hear what was being said, than what came out of the 432Evo.
This is the third time I’ve sat in on this kind of A/B on different systems all were similar on how the differences came out.
I can say the streamer would be a slightly better late night low volume level system to play, as it’s dynamics wouldn’t wake other people in the same building. Where the CD you’d be running for the volume every time there was a big dynamic passage.

Cheers George
128x128georgehifi

Asked him this morning.
He was able to say both were the "year and label". So we knew if it was, 1st release, later remaster, re-release, or reissue. And with the amount of a/b'ing all seemed correct, as all had the same outcome.
And the source was he said was the top tier Tidal which he said was better than Spotify, Qubus is not available here in Au.

Cheers George  
Is the 432Evo hardwired to the network?
We have now the NBN which is all over Australia fibre optic to the premises, and over 100Mbps download and over 60 upload.
And he played the server real time and also saved on the H/D no difference between the two.

Roon has a reputation for sucking the life out of a sound stage in certain configs.
He's a reviewer and owner of Soundstage, and said he found it to be the best. 

Cheers George
Interesting comparison and we appreciate you sharing the results.  I will say that I directly compared Roon to Lighting DS through my Auralic Aries G2.  LDS was significantly better in every regard than Roon which I subsequently dropped.

I’m not suggesting that the outcome of your comparison would be different, but I do agree with jbuhl that, in a shootout, I wouldn’t use Roon.  Fabulous interface, but the sound quality - not so much.  I tried it straight through and with up conversions, etc.  Same result.

I no longer have a CD player so i can’t do a similar test but you’ve piqued my interest and I wonder why it would be the case.
I love the Roon sound and interface. Roon sounds great in my system so I am a tad confused on the notion Roon does not offer first class sound. I use a modified Innuos Zenith with the Roon/Squeezelite option. Mojo Audio Evo dac taken to the max with upgrades. Not at all my experience. In my system I also found that CD vs streaming depended entirely on the recording. Qobuz 24/192 sounded better than CD in my system. CD sounded better than some 16/44. Frankly the differences were  small many times. Seems there are too many variables for absolutes and this outcome will always be system dependent.
@grannyring 
I too loved the Roon interface.  And it certainly sounded good. It was only when i did a direct comparison that i noticed it was deficient in comparison. And, BTW, I perused the manufacturer's forum and found that many users had the same experience  Not incidentally, your DAC is better than mine (new one on the way!) so perhaps that was your difference.  

My speculation is that the native app (Auralic Lightning DS in my case) is able to better integrate with the operating system and properly use the large buffers built into my unit whereas Roon might not be able to. 

In any case, I certainly have to agree that there are too many variables to draw any universal conclusions.  So, as in all things related to this, YMMV.