Researching an "affordable Roon server/streamer, and my choice...

I learned a lot while researching (ie, torturing myself) for this project, researching an "affordable" Roon server/streamer. I DO NOT want to run the Roon Core on a computer. Obviously there are many other choices like Auralic, Lumin etc and I’ve read reviews until my eyes bled. Oh, to have more money!

Items 1-6 are what I considered and eliminated. Obviously if you have $3000-10,000 to spend, there are other choices. Your mileage may vary. I really wanted something made in the USA or EU, not China (though I would bend that rule for a Denafrips DAC, maybe). If I had super big bucks, some of the DAC/preamps/streamers that have Roon server capability built in look amazing, like SimAudio Moon, but they are *really* expensive, and still require a Roon server. I decided I want to spend more money on an amp upgrade by spending less on the Roon server/streamer, so I set a budget of around $1500. Don’t need/want anything with an onboard DAC.

1. Bluesound Node 2i: Many owners are reporting hardware and software problems and frustrations. I wanted both a Roon core and endpoint, and it isn’t.
  2. I originally thought I’d get an Aurender N100 until I decided I want Roon, which it doesn’t do. Then I read about problems with Aurenders after power losses and other issues. Nope. Nice units, especially the one for $6k with ripper.
  3. Then I settled on the Innuos Zen III, but it’s made in Portugal and they don’t have a US service facility. In addition, in reading the fine print they don’t guarantee that with the Zen you can run it well as both a core and streamer, and it only has an i3 processor, which some claim isn’t powerful enough. They don’t offer an SSD drive until the Zenith, which is $4k+. It’s out.
  4. Roon Nucleus -- Meh. i3 processor, expensive for what it is, just a server box.
  5. Salk Streamplayer -- Looks nice, has an i5 processor, and the maker is very nice on the phone. Only available in the mid-level with an HDD drive, and I wanted SSD. No internal ripper drive either. So no.

6. >> The one I would likely buy if I had >2x the money to spend: Wyred4Sound’s MS music server (well reviewed by Darko https://darko.audio/2018/10/a-short-film-about-the-wyred-4-sound-music-server/ ). One box solution, runs as core/streamer, has great connection options incl SPDIF, USB, and I2S and my preamp/DAC has I2S. Built-in ripper. Runs Squeezebox and UPnP apps. REALLY nice unit, but $3k with 2tb SSD. Could but don’t want to spend $3500k to $4500! Darn it. EJ Sarmento, the designer, was super helpful discussing it, and I regret not giving him the order. Next time. https://wyred4sound.com/products/music-servers/ms

7. THE ONE: Small Green Computer Sonictransporter with 2tb onboard SSD and a Microrendu streamer (the UltraRendu is more and maybe I should have done that?). About $1500, a great value I think. No, not a one box solution but that’s okay, and not really a compromise except for that. Has an i5 processor, comparable to the Roon Nucleus+ which is 2x the price. Should work great with Roon using DSP if I want to. No onboard ripper drive, but just plug a CD reader in and works the same. MOST bang for the buck that I have found, so I hope I am happy with it. The proprietor Andrew Gillis was very helpful and patient with me as I decided. www.smallgreencomputer.com
I will update after testing it.

128x128patrickdowns
Good choice!  I have the Sonicorbiter I5 and both micro and ultra Rendus, and am very happy with it for a couple of years now.  Hope you enjoy it.
jperry

Glad to hear it. Don't mean to insult Zen owners! I was also concerned about warranty service. I have read many say the Innuos units sound excellent.
A cheap computer  and an opticalRendu I think is the best bang for the buck. Analog noise cannot travel on fibre optical wire. Run the ROON Core on the cheap computer (i5+) and get a network hub with fibre optical.

https://www.ui.com/unifi-switching/unifi-switch-8-150w/

Hookup the opticalRendu to the network switch at one end and the other end to the USB input of your DAC. Done.

Your thoughts on using a SonicTransporter music server also does the same thing but you have the option of using it with fibre optical. 

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/audio-server/products/sonictransporter-i9-optical

This is more money than I would pay to setup ROON Core. That is why a cheap computer is my choice.

Using fibre optical, you eliminate the analog noise getting into your DAC. In the future I expect more DACs to be like the LUMIN X1 which has a fibre optical input. However, since no one else does we have to use convert fibre to something like USB.