Honest Amp Reviews: Impossible?

So, I’ve noticed a flood of class D junk hitting the market over the last several years. They come from many different brand names from people you’ve never heard of before like "VTV", to popular Internet-in-the-know brands like PS Audio to famous names like Marantz. One thing they ALL have in common: the complete inability to find honest reviews online for these products.

For example, let’s take for instance the Stellar series from PS Audio. Class D junk with the usual attempt to improve euphonics with some kind of input stage. They call this scheme class AD, I guess to differentiate all the other brands that do something similar. However, you’ll never see a review site point this out; they’ll comment briefly on the design and then dutifully call it class AD afterwards as if it isn’t just a class D amp like many others.

Next, the reviewer will invariably lie about the sound. This lying usually takes the form of lying by omission. They’ll gush about how beefy and controlled it is, how neutral it is, how wide and natural the soundstage is, etc. What they WON’T mention is how lifeless, flat, boring and ultimately fatiguing they ALL are. The buyer who doesn’t know any better has to find that out for themselves while he slowly grows to distrust anything a reviewer has to say about anything. So, the only way to actually get value out of a review is to see if a certain amp has the positive attributes you are looking for while trying to painstakingly research any problems it might have because the reviewer won’t mention them.

In addition to the lies of omission, there’s the usual con of giving certain gear to certain reviewers who will appreciate / like the piece. That Stellar will NEVER be put up against a Dan D’agostino or a Pass for example. This could be valuable to the buyer to see how a lesser amp stacks up against a high end one, but it’s not, apparently, useful to the reviewers. Why? Why is telling the whole truth about amps -- all gear really -- taboo?
madavid0
Post removed 
   "This is exactly why I think it is highly prudent to listen for oneself in one's own system to any component under consideration."                            +1  
good post, tvad

i looked at op’s profile, the threads he has started... nuff said - not even worth responding with anything thoughtful
OP,

Ive owned all tube systems; Roger Modjeski amp RM 200, OTL Joule Electra, Rogue M150s with cryoed 6550s and EL 34s... several tube preamps; Lazarus, Modulus, Lector balanced tube preamp, multiple SS amps; class A (Kinergetics KBA 75), AB; Bryston 3B, Conrad Johnson, Classe, Brown Electronic Labs BEL 1001 MkII, Parasound A23, more that I can’t recall...

I have also owned quite a few Class D; PS Audio- GCC 250, which I still use in my tv system &, M700s (very nice), several W4S, Emerald Physics, and most recent an EVS 1200, dual mono based on IcePower AS1200 modules, a creation of Ric Schultz with lots of pixie dust: it blows away many/most, and compares to the best amp in memory, the KBA 75

I am on the 1.4 year list for a LSA Voyager GaN based

hth
The last I heard LSA were hoping to start shipping by year's end.  Of course, the proof of the pudding...