Thiel CS 3.6 vs 3.7

Replacing my model 3.6 speakers has come with a great deal of hesitation. I purchased them used from a dealer in 1993 after owning the model 2 2s. I have recently acquired a pair of 3.7s that are shipping as I write this. I understand that "beauty is in the ear of the beholder", but has anyone had both and had a preference? I ask because I do think collective wisdom is important and I do not want to be in the position of letting the "newer and improved" mentality creep into my judgment. What differences could I expect to hear? Context is Hegel Mohican to Audio Research Ref 3 to McCormack (SMc Audio) DNA 1 with almost all mods including Plitron transformer. Balanced throughout with AQ Columbia XLR and Kimber Monocle XL speaker cable. AQ Niagra 1000 conditioner and Shunyata Alpha HC power cables. Thanks in advance.
yabe1951
Wow! That is a deep dive into the 3.7. I am not that technically competent and have to trust Rob's expertise and judgment. Happy to know that you are learning the details. I do not know if you have seen this or not, but I found it to be quite interesting. Best of luck!

https://vimeo.com/52026712
What a fantastic video and so helpful to me. I have to solder the COAXs back into the speaker. I will likely also have to remove the crossover. This video showed me how the experts do it and I will copy them. I am not technically skilled in any of this but learning as I go along. I need to practice some soldering before I do the real thing.

BTW - I will post this on the big Thiel thread and put your name on it. All the Thiel folks are on that thread. You will see a A'gon notification when I do that.
yabe1951

it is Amazing what a good CD player can do regarding playback.

Happy Listening!
Yes, indeed. My old player was a heavily modified Rotel RCD 991 with Burson discrete op-amp replacements, a Dexa clock, and some upgraded caps and resistors and damping added. I had an audio grade fuse in there as well. Very relaxed and smooth sounding. Overall, not bad. That player finally quit, hence the Hegel. The Hegel is in another performance category altogether. Bits may be bits, but the timing of those bits is more important than I would have ever thought. The Hegel has greatly improved my enjoyment of CD playback. The only clear advantage the Rotel seemed to have was better sound on the small number of HDCDs that I have. Although it certainly never caught on in a broad sense, HDCDs sound quite good compared with the "normal" Red Book versions. Otherwise, the Hegel player is superior in almost every way. As it should be at more than three times the cost when new. However, I do think that the bass performance of the Rotel was slightly better- More tuneful and with greater weight and authority. The Hegel by comparison is less impactful in the low-frequency range from what I am hearing. Overall, the Rotel player was the least capable component in my system in my opinion and I am happy to have the Hegel player.  

The Thiels arrived from Coherent Source Service by truck freight and I was able to get them into the house, but they are large and heavy. I am taking a break to get the 3.6es out of the room and then unbox and install the 3.7s. I am so much enjoying the 3.6es (the entire presentation is so much better with the new player) that I do not feel any urgency to switch them up. I would like to say a long goodbye to the 3.6es that have given me so much joy over the past twenty-plus years.

Next up, the last revisions to my amp (McCormack DNA). It is scheduled for upgrades in January with the addition of the new Gravity Base system. I really do not know too much about it, but this is the last major investment I plan to make on the amp. I will be retiring in July, so my plan is to stay at home, sit back, listen, and enjoy.