Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
@acman3 
I absolutely LOVE this Album.
acman33,234 posts11-19-2020 7:38pmhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8TdZFVj6tA

It is Definitely my  favorite Miles Davis Album. I especially love that guitar on the first track. It is GROOVY MAN !
And I thought it was a well kept Secret .Damn I better buy another copy before they are all gone .
acman33,234 posts11-19-2020 7:38pmhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8TdZFVj6tA

Here is another Album that just blows My doors off.... very unique and different. It is quite a journey to listen to . The Miles Davis "Jack Johnson" album and this one are my new Favorites.
https://www.discogs.com/Herbie-Hancock-Death-Wish-Original-Soundtrack-Recording/master/47748
Enjoy !

Both of these are best played kind of loud IMO. The dynamics and bass are awesome....for the time.
I have lost the track of your postings; there are so much of them, but they are all posted in order and therefore should check them easily.
I lost the track of an old friend; but friends do find their way home, should not worry that much.
Another friend lost the track of my being by sending me the wrong songs; but is there a wrong song if sent and received in kindness and gratefulness?

Come to think of, I lost the key of a house yesterday morning; but again, I have a custom to keep at least one of my windows open.

My neighbour recently lost a cat but I must say I never heard of a cat being lost. Have you?

You see, (almost) all what is lost, is to be found, sometimes you even don't have to dig that deep. The ocean is shallow water...

But...
"How deep is the ocean...?"

By Chet and Paul
https://youtu.be/VNb-2XISoGY

Wish you all nice Sunday...
O10

You really discovered something great in Nubya Garcia. I listened to her debut album in its entirety on You Tube this morning and, IMHO, it is a superb debut album of fresh new "jazz" every song has something new to offer. It is, to me, better/different then the KOKOROKO album she plays on (6 of the tracks) titled WE OUT HERE. And you already know I love to keep up with all the new artists coming out and so thanks for posting that. Here is the album in its entirety.

Nubya Garcia - Pace (Official Audio) - YouTube

Actually "We Out Here" is apparently not KOKOROKO but "various artists" of the London jazz scene.

VARIOUS ARTISTS - We Out Here - Amazon.com Music

frogman thanks for the Steve Grossman recommendations. I already have Elvin Jones' Light House (both volumes). I bough them because I love Elvin as a drummer and have many of his albums as a leader.

Last time I listened to the Lighthouse discs was years ago and come to think of it I did look up the sax player because Grossman really "takes off" on some of the songs. I remember looking for Grossman material after hearing him play on that Jones album but for some reason never bought any of his sessions as a leader. I will be buying all of your suggestions as I sampled them on You Tube and like what I hear.
rok a few pages back I posted a video of Oscar Peterson and Count Basie playing together and discussing music. One of the topics was Art Tatum. They both are of the opinion that Mr. Tatum intimidated them with his virtuosity. Its a 45 minute video so I guess everybody moved passed it and there were no replies. I watched it in its entirety and it is well worth it. Here it is again.

[FULL CONCERT] Oscar Peterson & Count Basie & Joe Pass 1980 - Words & Music - YouTube