Good to remember ... how to tell what sounds better

Another small contribution to this board... especially for those of us who really enjoy evaluating gear...

https://youtu.be/p-ZKBSlydJs

... we know this, but it is worth reminding ourselves

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjjss49
the point here is how best to decide what sounds better... 

one thing, one system sounding 'good' is a different conversation, a separate matter, a different bar
@MC”I was lucky and broke out of this mold early on. Took my little stack of CDs with me, started listening to a McCormack DNA1, knew I found my amp when I noticed my list of audio tics was the last thing on my mind, I was just enjoying the music.”
       Exactly what happened to me when I heard the PAP’s. at the NY audio show. I could not leave the room as it was all about the music, and not even music I was familiar with. That said it all. It may have been interesting if the Moab’s were next door, but weren’t. Nothing to AB, like meeting the right woman, (OK, I’ll welcome the comments), it just hits you and you make the move, for better or for worse! 
Russ, the industry simply wants to sell you stuff. Like I said, sometimes the differences are outstanding and it is easy to choose over a relatively short period. Outstanding differences I can usually discern at the store and at isolated listening sessions. Fine details are not so easy especially with differences in recordings and program sources. After listening to a speaker for a while you accommodate to the sound. Most people think this is the equipment breaking in. It is not. It is your brain breaking in. This is a reality of science whether anyone here like it or not. Certain defects like an irritable upper midrange will persist but I usually can pick this up at first listening. Go to a dealer that can arrange rapid AB comparisons of speakers and see how easy it is to pick out differences between speakers that you would not pick out otherwise. 
When I'm evaluating gear I like to spend some "quality time" listening to item A, then some "quality time" listening to item B.

From 1978 thru 1982 I worked in high end audio shops in the DC area.  It was common to be able to A/B speakers, but at one of the shops we had this "computerized" console, where you could A/B amplifiers, and it was "programmed" to set the volumes equal.  I remember a customer spending HOURS A/Bing a McIntosh MC2205 solid state power amp vs. a Luxman Laboratory Reference tube unit, switching back and forth causing the "computerized" console to illuminate one lamp for the McIntosh, the other for the Luxman.  After HOURS of listening, he bought the Luxman.  A few days after he left the store, our head repair tech came into our high end room and replaced the motherboard in the unit, saying that though the unit switched from one lamp to the other, it was not actually switching from one amp to another...so this customer was probably listening all the time to the McIntosh.