Newbie, need advice.

I have a old school Bench mark DAC1.I recently bought a Luxman CL-38uC Pre Amp and it says be aware that the maximum input level at the balance input is 2.5 V and therefore sound signals may be distorted if a device with larger output level is connected. I look up the spec sheet on the Benchmark Dac 1 and it did not see the spec for the output voltage, unless i misread it. Can anyone pitch in on this and let me know if i can use balance input cables from DAC to PRE-AMP?

Thank You 
Jorica
jorica
I don’t know a doggone thing about DAC’s, however

It is VERY HIGHLY UNLIKELY that any DAC signal is close to or exceeds 2.5 Volt

a bit of history, in round numbers: The standard output of tuners and ceramic phono to mono amps was 1 volt prior to Magnetic Cartridges.

pre-amps were introduced to get the smaller magnetic signals up to 1 volt, then to the original amps. Mono was 1 amp, 1 good speaker. Then, Stereo, ADDED a second amp and ADDED a second speaker, dual mono, and the subsequent continued love of mono amps.

Next, stereo preamps, stereo amps. Still essentially based on 1 volt to the amp.

Then variations, stronger signal strengths. Some CD players, especially ones with built-in volume controls signals went as high as 2 volt. You could skip the pre-amp, go straight to the amp.

McIntosh amps have 2 position switches: .75 volt, and default 2.5 volt.

Thus, the world is based on ... no stronger than 2.5 volt,

Thus, VERY HIGHLY UNLIKELY your DAC sends more than 2.5 volt.

As I said, round numbers, my point is to give you the confidence to try it.

Or, buy an in-expensive multi-meter and measure it.

btw, My Tandberg Receiver includes a potentiometer at one of it’s rear inputs, so that two phono inputs (different cartridge strengths) could be ’equalized’ to the innards thus equal volume to the speakers.

McIntosh Vintage Preamps have ’trim’ controls (potentiometers, on the top, near the front) (more easily accessed, just slide the preamp forward about 2"), to ’equalize' several inputs, my SS C28 had and my vintage mx110z tube preamp ’trims’ three inputs: two phono inputs, and 1 aux input.

If you love your equipment, and found a signal strength mismatch, you could add a potentiometer in-line.
I spoke to Benchmark this morning and they advice having the attenuation jumpers at -20 which would give 1.3 volts output, putting jumpers at -10 would give me 4.0 volts which would cause distortion. Thanks again Gents for the advice

jorica.
Yes that's what I said set the balanced jumpers to factory -20 they will go higher than 4 volts if you set the jumpers to 0. I used to have a DAC 1 it was made for Studios as well as home use. 
jorica,

for what it’s worth, I have three pairs of the Colorado’s in my system and have no complaints.

All the best.

JD