ifi iPhono 3 "Black Label" Anyone?

Curious to hear your early impressions of the new iPhono3 Black Label.

A review sample arrived here Friday (6/12/2020) and I'm still getting some hours on the unit before doing any critical listening, but first impressions are of a real punchy, dynamic unit that will hopefully bloom as I get more miles on the clock.
For $995 it already sounds like it's going to be competitive with units a couple of rungs up the ladder. I just got done with an initial review and a quickly thrown together youtube vid, if anyone's interested. - 
https://audioresurgence.com/2020/06/ifi-iphono-3-black-label-phono-review-first-look.html
https://youtu.be/3ONQLwf9zVk

I owned the iPhono2 for a while and it was pretty good. It'll be interesting to hear how good the "Black Label" sounds at the 400-hour mark and also what other folks think of it.

Speak up!

Rooze
128x128rooze
smrex:

It has become my favorite SS phono stage and I agree it really does just sound like great music.
The Zen is crazy good! I have 232 hours on it and I purchased another iPhono X.  I mean seriously $250.00 for the stage and the far better iPower X.., smh. 

I’m thinking of putting together a TT package with the Zen as a Christmas gift to my brother.  This nearly defies belief. The included power supply does a decent job but the iPower X pushes it a little further on down the road. I can honestly say if I didn’t know I was listening to a stage that costs a buck fifty one could tell me it was a $5K stage and I’d have no real argument. I’ll write more in a separate thread.
I decided that in the context of my system, I didn't really need to spend $1000 on a phono stage. So, I returned the Black Label and got a Zen with an iPower X.  I does everything I want - can't stop listening to it!

Hi audiofun,

Have you tried or consider trying the iFI iPower Elite on the iPhono3 in place of the iPowerX? 

Also, do you still consider the iPhono3 a reference level product since its now been over a year from your review.

I'm thinking about the iPhono3 and would welcome your inputs.

ddriveman:

Hi and happy 2022! I did try the iPower Elite on the iPhono 3 and for my ears it worked better with the iPower X. I don’t quite understand it as the iPower Elite is exceptional and I have the 12v and the 15v version. I use the 15v version of the Elite with my iFi Stream where, in this case, it outperforms the iPower X.

I still think as highly of the iPhono 3 as I ever did. It is an exceptional phonostage. 

FYI I tried my Uptone Audio linear power supply ($975) on the iPhono 3 and I still preferred the iPower X by quite a large margin.