Flat screen between speakers, again.

I know this has been discussed before, but after reading most of the somewhat recent responses to similar questions I still need to pick your collective brains.
To mitigate the TV's impact, I am considering building a panel that would cover the TV when it's not in use. The panel would be a 2.5' x 4.5' diffuser or absorber. Ideally it will hang above the TV when I am watching TV and would lower down to block the TV when I am listening to music.

My question is whether this is a viable solution and, if it is, would I be better served with diffusion or absorption?

128x128tony1954
@noromance

Well that would certainly save me money and effort, but I do believe that the additional room treatment would improve my situation, rather than maintaining the status quo. Thanks.

Have you experimented yet by covering the TV? Before you build anything, try using a bath towel or lightweight blanket over the TV. This will not cause very much absorbion, it just eliminates the reflective surface between the speakers.

I’ve recently researched this subject. It seems a lot of people with elaborate solutions eventually end up leaving it off permanently.

I just replaced my TV and had the wall bare for a few days. I did notice a slight improvement in soundstage stage depth. I’ve decided to try treating the rest of my room first and only then revisiting the TV situation. I did get a mic and run some baseline sweeps for frequency response and reverberation time.

Diffusion is usually heavier, especially a skyline type that is deep enough to have a wide effective frequency range. You might need a counterweight system or risk damaging your screen. Full coverage of the screen may not be necessary either. I may experiment with some 2’x4’ panels and listen. It should be easy to hang them even with 6” spacers so they clear the TV. Depending on your room layout a set of heavy movie theater type curtains might be an option.

I’m not yet convinced it’s necessary in all situations. Only you’ll know if the juice is worth the squeeze.
And I forgot the obvious one. All things considered it might be best to treat the room first, and then get a motorized TV lift cabinet.