Vandersteen Moel 2Ce better than Model 1B used in midsize room

Probably the answer is yes but for now i must say i’m quite happy with mine model 1B. The situation is i can buy a used 2Ce for a reasonable price. I don’t have big annoying problems with the 1B only the tend to drown a bit when the music get more complex an is building up like a orchestra build up to a crescendo. My main music is Jazz like Chat Baker an fusion jazz like Billy Cobham which reproduce the 1B excellent. I was wondering how big the change will be by replacing the 1B with the 2Ce.

128x128snarfie23
@nypd26 

I bought a pair of Vandy 2ci with sound anchor stands.How far do you tilt the speakers.Mine are playing vertical now.

Follow the manual instructions to the ‘T’. If you don’t have the original, download a copy off the Vandersteen web site.
@audionoobie

Don’t find you contrarily because this is exactly why i have a bit of doubt.

Let i put it like this. The 1B is performing whit let say 70% of my music which is Jazz small ensembles but also jazz rock like Steely Dan as a dream. Basically hearing Chet baker (most of his albums) they create an intimacy (staging, detail, clearity) that is unbelievable. Till now i did not have this experience with any other speaker brand that i listen to in my room an i had some.

Only when i play lets say Year of the Cat from Al Stewart it sound more or less flat. When i hear that i think would a 2Ce does that better or is the recording such that the information that I’m looking for is just not there/in (I do use room correction software that does an excellent job in balancing the sound) . Basically i think it is a trade of an you think the bigger the better specially when it is the same brand.

@gnrdbob

The NAD C370 is an integrated amp using 6mm ofc speaker cable an JK acoustics type 2 an van der hul interlinks.

Some years ago i did a measuring as you could see in one my pictures. As you can see there are peak difference from sometime almost 15 db thats a lot. I can assure you no cable, amplifier or change in CD, DAC can overcome this. So i start first with some wall an ceiling treatment for my monitors that helped for about 15%. Than i used room correction software (Mathaudio Room EQ) that changed the sound more than 70% for the better it is completely balanced using the flat target curve.

I’m now 61 did spend quite a lot of money in decent gear but i never had this experience with Room Correction software the best money i spent was 80,- Euro buying a measuring mic. I don’t think the B1 is broken however it is difficult too reach the drivers but i know that the drivers have rubber surrounds not foam an they sound very tight when needed.

@tomic601

Yes i was also thinking about adding a sub woofer however i don’t have a problem with the tight bass that is now present in the B1

+1 tomic601 keeping 1s and adding subs/2s won't be able to couple with room

OP, adding subs will drastically clean up the midrange since the lone woofer in the 1 won't be handling the lowest frequencies. As far as subs go, check out the "swarm" type. 
Don’t get to caught up on the 2’s needing a lot of power to work. I have 2 sig 1’s hooked up to class a running 20 watts into each channel and they sound great and I can shake the house at full volume. The biggest step up from 1 to 2 is going from a 2 way to a 3 way design.
Two issues - the acoustic coupler is not going to contribute that much that far out from the wall. Your DSP can help but boost will be what is needed and that can cause other issues.

Tomcarr is correct, high passing the 1 takes massive load off the 8” driver in the 1, cleaning things up.

to the OP I assume the nad has preamp out / amp in jacks ??? IF not you might be able to implement the correct low pass filter with your DSP