Another Bass discussion...

One thing I’ve never understood is how some audiophiles can go straight 2 channel set ups without a sub. Even floorstanders can’t get way down there in the frequency range. I’m almost Certain that I’ve got my subs too loud for proper bass integration. I don’t care tho. I like to feel the bass. Literally feel it when a kick drum is hit. I don’t need it to shake my teeth loose but I like to feel the low bass notes even though I know many people think it’s incorrect and/or too loud. At a concert I feel the bass. Even watching friend’s bands practice I remember being able to feel the instruments when played. I want to feel the bass when I listen to my stereo. 🤷🏻‍♂️ So sue me. That’s all. 
paulgardner
Thanks for the thoughts and links! I will dig in. 
@millercarbon Yeah I can absolutely see how 4 subs would be incredible when integrated well. I’m running 2 RELs at opposite end of my listening position. So one is located on the right behind the front right channel. The other is about 6 feet from the left of the listening position. So kiddicorner positioned. The gain is set lower on the one that’s closer to me and it’s great! 
Another thing to complain about and factor in is the wild swing and inconsistencies in recordings. Some real trash out there. Sigh. 
Paul, I could not agree more but, there are classy ways to do it and quite sloppy ways to do it. You can have very accurate bass and adjust it so that the visceral component is there without interfering with the mid bass.
People like nonoise who have little if anything below 40 Hz don't miss the bass because they can interpret the note from it's harmonics. They have no idea they are missing the fundamental. At the concert you are hearing/feeling the fundamental. To get this in a residential setting is not easy. It requires large drivers, 12" minimum IMHO and that is if you are using at least two, ideally 4 subwoofers. Then there is power. A lot of it. 500 watts is the minimum. I use 2000 watts/subwoofer. The small sealed enclosure subwoofers favored today require EQ to get them to go flat to 18 Hz. If you look at my system page find the screen shot of the frequency response of my subwoofers (each trace is actually a pair of subwoofers right and left) This is before correction. These are 12" drivers in 3 cubic foot enclosures which are pretty big. They still lose output as they go down. The computer corrects this so that they are up 5 dB at 20 Hz. You can see this in the basic target curve. This quadruples the power requirement at any given volume. 200 watts becomes 800 watts. I kick the bass up 5 dB at 20 Hz tapering to 0 dB at 100 Hz because in a residential setting this gives you that sensation of being at a live concert without corrupting the mid bass. Then I have independent volume control over the subwoofers so I can crank it another 3 dB for the Red Hot Chili Peppers:)  Without digital bass management it is very difficult if near impossible to integrate subwoofers at the state of the art. You can get reasonable close which is tough enough. Check out DEQX, The Anthem STR and the Trinnov Amethyst. 
In my experience integrating sub woofers with side speakers can be challenging and very frustrating, to get the setup to sound right.

In my last house I had to struggle putting 10 bass traps around the room to make the bass sound like it "belonged" with the side speakers; I probably could have used more traps, but my wife was already complaining about the look of my "padded cell".
I feel bass and clear one in my audio room... With tuba, cello, piano,organ, drums, gong, etc.... No need for a sub really and only 7 inches bass drivers, very  well embed tough....I feel the bass with my stomach only not with my feet....I dont listen to music essentially constructed with a continuously artificial sub-bass presence for sure....

I dont have the bass linked to volcanic eruption, heavy metal, deafeaning thunderstorm at your feet, or banging door rent owner asking me for my money....

:)

« Ron Carter is in my room or perhaps only in my head » - Groucho Marx