Negotiate good price

I went to a dealer last week and listen to some really sweet pieces.  I was ready to throw down some coin but am confused about the dealers approach.  He comes in the room and says how is everyhting.  I say it is amazing this is just the sound I am looking for.  He says okay and leaves.  Comes back in 10 minutes and I am ready for hardball.  I sit back with my hands above my head in an inviting posture and say- can you beat prices that I see on Audiogon?  He says he will be right back- great i think he knows- I know my stuff.  Another guy comes in and says he needs to use the room for a client.  I say where is the other guy and he says he's on the phone.  So I wait in the lobby for 20 minutes and don't see anyone. I left my name on a paper and put it on the desk and ask him to call me with the best he can do on the system because I can buy some of it on AUdiomart.  I asked my wife and she thinks that's too hardball- maybe i should have lied and said I'm shopping around for best price.
Any info on how to speed pitch softballs?   
tubebuffer
Whether this really happened or not, I have no clue, but if I owned the store, the sales person would probably be looking for a new job at some point for one of two reasons.  One, because they were not good (or smart) enough to qualify the customer up front before investing too much time, and two, because they were too lazy to explain their value position to a ready to purchase customer who appeared to be offering right of first refusal.

People who have enough money to afford an expensive system generally value time and experience, but they are not going to just give their money away, they make you work for it. 
+1 for mc.  Second time I totally agree with you.  I must be getting soft😂