Merrill Audio 116's

I responded to the Gan-Based Class D thread. As I indicated understanding the different technologies that make up components is interesting. It broadens our scope into this obsession. Quite frankly a lot of the technical jargon is well beyond my expertise and understanding. I just know what sounds good to me! I'm demoing Merrill Audio's Element 116's. I wanted to demo the 118's but they are involved with another demo. I'm a EMM LABS Dealer. I have the Emm DV2 along with the Reference PRE, and Joseph Audio Pearl 20/20. My current amps are Classe' CA M600's. I don't care who makes the gear, it either sounds good in ones system or it doesn't! These Element 116's are the most transparent, micro-detailed amps I have ever heard! I did not say bright! I have not heard Merrill Audios Christine Reference Pre. 
Observations without listening are useless! That thread about Gan-Based Class D? I had to stop reading before blood started gushing from my ears! Eventually I will listen to the Element 118's, I can only imagine. When I listen to the EMM Labs MTRX/2, I will share my honest observations. I have spoken with some 118 owners and all have expressed similar observations like I have heard with the 116's, with just a little 'more". With reluctance I hooked up my Classe'. I played 5 tracks that I had just played with the 116's, I was stunned! I'm going to do it again just to make sure my brain wasn't stuck in a certain mode!  Bottom line if you can compare the gear, do an A/B and let your ears do the listening. We can talk and opine all we we want! Yes its fun! However if your going to spend your money and make a "sound" decision. Listen to the damn gear!

Happy Listening
       John
jakesnak
Post room heaters Rogue M150s and Parasound A23, I have owned lots of class D. Starting with PS Audio GCA 250 which still anchors my TV system (moded as new by C Johnson), several W4S; stereo and MC channel to bi-amp my Magnepan 3.5Rs (not happy with either), Emerald Physics 100.2SEs with upgraded fuses, Audio Alchemy DPA -1, PS Audio M700s, and my favorite to date by long shot is Ric Schultz EVS 1200, dual mono IcePower AS1200 modules that he highly tweaked. Speakers are Emerald Physics 3.4s, source is a Oppo 105 with aftermarket Furutech IEC with pure silver tail to the power supply board, a 1110/220 jumper that bypasses the switch and a Linear Power Module replacing the OEM. No preamp. XLRs to the amp

I am in high anticipation of hearing the Voyager GaN amp, which has been delayed more than a year to get it right. MSRP is a pittance (by comparison to the GaNs currently on the market) @ $3000
A delay of a year to get it right? Wow, that is a delay. Their only product is a 200W amp. Have you ever heard Merrill Audio's amps? I'm not a patent or copy rights attorney but I would think certain technologies cannot be copied? Besides GaN, I would think its a lot more involved.
In my original post I explained how my Classe' sounded lifeless and lackluster after playing the same 5 tracks. I realized after the fact that the Classe's were stone cold! Unplugged for several days! Blunder on my part, but thankfully I figured out why the huge difference. I'm back on the Merrill 116's today. My Classe' 600's are great but these Merrill Amps are something! You would never know these were Class D! I listened to the Classe's all day yesterday. So much more detail with the 116's. The Classe' have a warmer sound. For lack of a better way to share the comparison. When your used to a specific sound it takes awhile to get your brain and ears wrapped around this new presentation. With the 116's the music is more engaging, more detailed and micro detail. Almost all my music sounds more like a live performance. People think you just do an A/B comparison and call it a day! Its not that easy with this level of gear. Stay tuned...