Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
Thanks for the reality check, mine was Club Med compared to yours.

What Eric described to me was something unambiguously SOTA. Like, in the current state of affairs the very best cost no object speakers are getting there by a brute force application of all the old techniques. Its all extremely costly materials and construction techniques. Eric on the other hand is getting his results from a design approach so superior he's able to use off the shelf drivers in rather ordinary cabinets.

This is how it came up, me saying something imagine if you used some of those more esoteric drivers, etc? But yet not having it be a Faberge Egg. That's my term for what Eric calls museum pieces. 

My point is nothing to do with those other speakers. My point is to learn from Eric just how far down that road he's planning on going. Because it has a huge impact on cost. 

If you're really serious about it the hardest part will be getting an answer as to when. Whenever it is, it will be disruptive as all get-out, that's for sure. Meantime, all Be drivers in a Moab or Ulf would sure be nice.
MC, very glad to hear you made it through such a tough ordeal and back to almost 100%. I have a spare set of spring pods, planning on experimenting with component placement hopefully with good results.
Ray, you are the first I have heard to compare Tekton subs to SVS, sorry the SVS did not work as planned but glad to know your thoughts.
First thought on those speakers is dual 15s, yet only 30hz?? What's up with that?
Hey MC, what are your thoughts on this speaker from Eric. It’s called the polycell
https://www.tektondesign.com/polycell-15.html

Well you know he makes speakers for every little niche. Just looking at it, reading the description, this is in his Flagship Models segment and looks to be a more high end version of his Perfect Set 2-10. Yes it can handle a lot of power but the 103dB sensitivity tells me he really made it to be used with flea-watt SET amps. At that price it probably uses some pretty high quality drivers. Look at the close-up shots, looks like a mini-horn array!