Wilson Watt Puppy 5.1 diffraction pads and resistors

I bought a used set of Wilson Watt Puppy 5.1s and they need some work.  Looking for thoughts and advice..

1. Midrange drivers don't work.  I've ordered new resistors hoping that fixes the problem. Wilson gave me some instructions but any other advice is welcomed on how to replace and what issues I might run into.

2. Diffraction pads were removed and left a sticky residue. Removal seems easy but makes me nervous.  Any advice here?

3. Some have said they prefer the to leave the diffraction pads off, others prefer the diffraction pads on claiming they sound bright without them.  Thought here?

Thanks,
dtximages
Remove the midrange driver and put a meter on it for continuity.  If it tests good problem is in the crossover.  Goo Gone will take care of all sticky residue with no problems.  Did you know the speaker had a non working midrange when you bought it?
Goo gone for the resideue.  Since  I hope you replace the pads, you don't have to worry about messing up the look.

Personally, with those inverted Focal tweets, put the pads in.  It's a much smoother and more natural presentation.  If you are always chasing "revealing" leave them off.

You can always test the midrange by hooking them up directly to your amp at LOW volume first. 

Thanks erik.  When I touched the speaker wire to the actual mid driver terminals, the amp shut off.  Probably a stupid thing to do.
Wow.
OK, sounds like the driver is shorted.

That's your answer.  If you want a final answer, get a multi meter and measure the resistance.