House buying and the aspiring audipihile

I’ve been looking for homes in the south. Final destination to be determined.

One of the features I’d like to have is decent potential for a great listening room, and doing so has made me feel like a true rare breed. What I mean is, it is so rare to find a room I think would work great for music. There’s a fireplace, or windows or odd shaped living room to throw off my aspirations.

What I’m reminded of, again, is how very very different the average consumer’s listening room and priorities are compared to audiophiles or moviephiles.  It is clear to me that if you want to be a very successful speaker maker you need to make speakers which still sound good even as they vanish.
erik_squires
I'm happy with my Atlanta Metro home with finished basement (dry-walled, carpeted concrete floor, dropped ceiling with heavy-ish fibrous material squares) which has a decent sized room for dedicated audio (20.125' L x 12.67' W), EXCEPT for the ceiling height (7.1' H)! Would really like 9' or so instead. That is my room's limiting factor. It could prob use a little more width as well, but not as much a concern as ceiling height for me. But very happy with the sound from the room, though it is treated with GIK products.
@ejr1953   Congrats on the Asheville home!  That is on my short list for a perhaps final home destination.  I love it for all the reasons you cited.

I'm actually surprised how good some rooms can sound that aren't "supposed" to sound good.
I am outside of Austin. Arguably one the best town in the country for music. Big reason for which I made it our retirement home. And now with my new house of stereo it pretty much sealed the fact that we will end our days here.
I love Asheville! I live in Charleston where there are no basements and they love the narrow and long footprint. I converted an upstairs bedroom into my listening room and it took some work, especially the acoustics and I had to trade my tube amps in for SS because of the summer heat. Most very situation is unique to the user and most problems can be solved with a little thought, but I miss my place in the NW.
Ash and Charleston and of course Austin have vibrant and thriving live music scenes :-)

our Charleston condo was hurricane bombproof with a massive great room and high ceilings - easy to get Vandy 5a dialed in and singing :-)

good luck Eric