Router extender.

I have a Sonos system throughout my house in addition to my primary hi-fi system (which is also connected to Sonos). Sonos seems to be very sensitive to router signal strength. This only seems to be a problem on the back porch even though distance-wise it is not that far from the router. The reason I do not run an ethernet cable out there and plug it into the Sonos device is that the problem is not with the device. Its the S2 app on my cell phone that will not hold the router signal.

I have purchased router extenders in the past (for other issues), the ones that plug into outlets, and have not been able to tell that they do anything at all. I sent them back.

I'm not super techy when it comes to this stuff and have a few questions.

First, are there router extenders that operate via an ethernet cable? It would be very simple for me to run a cable under the house from my primary cable modem/router combo and place such a device near or on the porch. If there is such a thing, are there any recommendations?

Second, I have another router that is no longer in use since the cable company installed their modem/router combo. Could this router be used as an extender using an ethernet cable? The cable company set the new modem/router up with the same name and password as my own router. When I tried this it did not seem to work. Would I need to reset the password on the older router or would it simply use the same password as the new router (again, they are the same and they have the same name)? Just not sure why this did not work.

Any help or practical advice appreciated. Use small words....again, I'm not super tech savvy.

Thanks.

n80
You need to use the Sonos Boost. No way around it. Sonos looks like it will talk to another extender, but actually won’t with any real regularity. Sonos likes it’s architecture and doesn’t play well with others...
The problem is with my cell phone/ Sonos S2 app. The Sonos speaker out on the porch apparently gets a signal just fine and plays normally once the music is started. You just can't change anything while you're out there because the app won't work.

I'm not sure if the Sonos Boost communicates through the cell phone/S2 app so I'm not sure it would help. I don't think it does.
my wife’s phone's wifi would not work all the way to verizon’s primary router. I ran ethernet cable as far as was easy to a switch: 4 ports and dual wireless antenna. great signal strength for tablet, laptop, phone wifi.