Audio tax write-off

Hello,

I have a company that produces documentaries and podcasts on personal and commercial histories. I have needed to acquire computer equipment to do my work, and I've borrowed some equipment from my 2-channel system, such as headphones, as well. My question is, do any of you write off home audio audio acquisitions for your business? Do you know the tax rules on this? Does it have to be branded  as "pro" gear to qualify? Thinking I need a better DAC and studio monitors. If I bought a component called "Schiit," would the tax auditor go "nnnnnnnnnnoooooo?" 

Thanks for your input.

Paul

paulburnett
I'm retired now, but I used to have a home office. I wrote off everything that I bought for the office, including a computer, printer, phones, business-related books, various publications, and even a small sound system for the office. This was legit, as this space was designed as, and only used as, a "home office." If it were ever questioned in an audit, there is no question that it would have passed muster. Take pictures of your workspace just in case, as Ceasar, if you are audited, will want to see proof of anything you claim on your annual financial confession.  

Frank
I highly recommend against accepting any tax advice you receive here.  You should look at depreciation of said equipment and be aware that if you are using this equipment for personal use as well, there can be a huge effect.  It also makes a difference if your company is a sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, llc ...

There is not a simple answer to your question, but some self education or a paid tax professional is in order.

Good luck.