Is this an Upgrade or a Lateral Move?

So, what I think may be "upgradeitis" is starting to hit. My Mom passed away from COVID this past April and, as part of my grief protocol, I’ve been listening to A LOT of music. I’ve had a BAT VK-3i preamp since ’03 and really dig it. I was thinking about moving to a BAT VK-33 (not the "se") which is dual mono ... the VK-3i isn’t. Otherwise, the two preamps are very similar in structure (e.g., xlr and rca outputs/inputs), and the VK-33 appears to me to be somewhat of an update of the VK-3i. So, the question is ... would the move be an upgrade or a lateral move? BTW, I’m using BAT VK-225se power amp (I like the BAT synergy) and JA Pulsars (v1). What say ye?
rlb61
-Hard to make recommendations without knowing what the rest of your system comprises.
B
@gdnrbob ... my system consists of the following: BAT VK-3i preamp, BAT VK-225se power amp, Joseph Audio Pulsar speakers (v1), Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista 3D CD disc player, Magna Dynalab MD-102 FM Tuner, and Nakamichi DR-8 Cassette Deck.
John Atkinson's Stereophile measurements indicate Pulsars are easy to drive...  "the Pulsar is an easy load for the partnering amplifier to drive. Not only is the phase angle relatively low, the impedance remains above 8 ohms for most of the audioband, dropping below that value only in the lower midrange, to reach a minimum magnitude of 6.5 ohms at 210Hz."

I recommend you consider going with a tube integrated such as Linear Tube Audio Z40 or a Line Magnetic LM-508IA.  If you haven't tried an all tube system, you are in for a treat!