How much overhang is ok between a speaker base and the stand top plate?

This thread extends another I posted about "mass loading" stands.
As I mentioned in those threads, I’m choosing speaker stands for my Salk SS 6M speakers. They measure:

20” H x 9 1/8” W x 14 5/16” D

There are many options for speakers stands, but the choice is complicated by the size of the speaker’s width and depth.

Many stands feature a top plate that is 6" x 6" or 6" x 8" or 7" x 7" etc.

On *any* of these top plates, my speaker would hang off the sides and front/back by at at least 2-3 inches.

For example, I’m considering Target stands but am not sure if it’s worth spending good $$ on a stand if there is this amount of overhang.

Seeking opinions about the "overhang" issue between speaker base and stand top plate. How important is this for the sound? How much overhang is too much?

And if it was necessary to have a top plate made locally to go along with the stand, would I just affix it myself? Have it welded on? I didn’t want this to get so complicated.

Thanks for your opinions.
128x128hilde45
Thanks for the additonal suggestions. Didn't know that about blue tack. Worrisome. I cannot imagine drilling holes in these speakers. The pad idea is a nice one, too.
Hilde, why not a pair of Sanus SFC 18 b1?

They are sand fillable, sturdy steel stands.  Spikes on the bottom.  I’ve haf a few pair and they are really actually great stands for the $.

The top plate is almost perfect for you at 14x8.  They say they hold speakers up to 35 pounds but they will hold more.  

Oh, and in my experience, once you have a solid stand, more gains can be had with some iso acoustics orea’s than from a sturdy $200 stand vs a sturdy $600 stand.

The little cups and bearings work well to on a budget if you don’t do isoacoustics.

Post removed