A question of bias for new tube set

Something seemed a bit off with my system so i checked the temperatures of the EL34 power tubes on my Cary Audio Six pacs with a pyrometer and found all the tubes reading a temperature around 360 deg F +/-  but one. The errant tube was reading around 175 deg F. Checked the bias on each mono block and found that the set with the errant tube was way off the recommended bias I usually set which is 220 ma. It read 180 ma. The other mono block was operating in spec. I also noticed that with a music source, the bias readings on both mono blocks seemed to swing 10 or so ma with the music. Didn't know if this was normal or not but figured since i had a bad tube and had no idea of the age of the tube set (bought the Six Pacs used), I figured it was time for a full set replacement.

The existing tubes were Svetlana Winged C EL 34s but after some research, I decided to buy a matched set of Electro-Harmonix EL34s from Kevin Deal of Upscale Audio. According to Kevin the EH tubes were less extended in the bottom end but added some sparkle to the upper range. Since they were about half the price of other competitive tubes (I needed 12), came matched and burned in for 72 hours, I figured I'd give them a try.

Swapped them out and set the bias to the Cary recommended 210-230 ma (I chose 220 ma). Noticed a few things. First, the bias with music was now rock steady at the 220 ma setting on each monoblock. And Kevin was spot on in his description of tube sound. However, each of the tubes came marked with specs including bias which were all within a tenth of 41.6 ma. That would equate to a bias setting of 246+ ma on each Six Pac. So my question is, should I stick with the Cary recommended bias of 210-230 ma or crank it to 245 ma?  

Comments appreciated,
J.Chip
128x128jchiappinelli
@oldhvmec1
You are correct i do not own the Cary V12, and I never said that I did. I said they were better than any EL34 that I have heard . Of course I have not heard High Dollar NOS 1950's or 1960's EL34 Who can fiknd or AFFORD those .
Your observation is with the amp that he owns , i suppose .
I am sure there is a lot better , but ,it was my observation that for the money I thought they were damn good. Of course the GEC KT-77 was probably the best ones , but finding those is like trying to use humming bird hearts for fishing bait, or pulling hen's teeth.
I tend to agree with this link.. Sorry for having an opinion !
https://www.tubesforamps.com/el34-6ca7-kt77-differences

How do you know the original tube with the low bias current was actually defective or aged really? Did you check the bias voltage on the grid of that tube? It could be a problem upstream, affecting grid voltage. In which case a new tube inserted in that socket would display an analogous difference in bias current compared to other new tubes in the other sockets. 
Lewm8

i only surmised that the original tube was bad because it was running at about half temperature than all the others. On the Six Pacs, you can’t check or set individual tube bias. Bias is set for the block of six tubes. When I put the new set in, I was able to set bias to spec which held rock steady and the tubes all displayed the same operating temperature. SQ also returned so it had to be the tube I suspected was bad.
j.chip
@jchiappinelli 

learned something from you in this thread

getting a pyrometer is a good idea to monitor power tube health, at a minimum it let's you read tube running temps in a multi-tube amp 

most amps do an average bias across at least 2 sometimes 4 tubes, this is a good way to check if one of them is way off the other before more serious issues occur with the tubes

glad you found the bad tube was the culprit, and your SQ is back to normal - makes all the sense in the world

in these days with chinese and russian tubes as the only new ones available, we really need to verify proper operation, not just trust the factory/vendor
You *always* set the bias to the manufacturer's recommended setting. If you run increased bias, this could put the power transformer in the amp at risk. Hopefully not of course, but its not worth the risk!