yet another tube preamp recommendation thread

hello, currently looking for tube preamp linestage upgrade recommentations.
recently tried an older cary audio slp98p f1 edition with new tubes. i do not need phono capability.
the cary had a lot going for it, an incredible midrange, very good bass and transparency, it just sounded unrefined and ragged in the treble on occasion, possibly due to the new tubes.
a new Slp 98 l with upgrades is a considetation.
also considering primaluna evo 300 or 400
and rogue audio rp7.
i value transparency, refinement and dynamics the most.
thanks.
avanti1960
I had an SLP98 years ago after they first came out. Maybe they have gotten better over time with upgrades, but to my ears that was a very colored preamp with not much transparency. I sold it to a friend of mine and purchased another Modulus 3a.

You should also consider the Don Sachs Model 2 preamp. Plenty of tube goodness and very transparent too.

Oz

@avanti1960
i love my cj et5... it is tremendously good sounding (full disclosure i have been a cj lover for decades, still also have a prem 16ls2 i swap in every now and then) - for me a perfect straddle of clarity and tube goodness

modwright tube linestages are also excellent, as are herrons (though i have never had one myself)

@ozzy62
i agree w you, the slp98 is not a model of transparency compared to current top line tube pre’s, quite euphonic

i picked up a don sachs unit used but i have been having problems with it... popping noise when changing volume, very sensitive to placement/quite a bit of microphony... i can tell it sounds very very nice but mine has been rather problematic... bought it used to try, my bad... :(
Don Sachs here.  To be fair, I have sent the person above a whole new power supply board for the Khozmo attenuator.  If that doesn't solve the popping we will source a new khozmo board because there may be a bad relay.  I have probably 100 khozmo attenuators in the world and only have seen one or two with popping issues.   I am taking care of him even though it is a used preamp.  As for placement, the preamp couldn't care less.  It is probably microphonic tubes.  The preamp is not microphonic.   
If the Sudebaker comment was directed at a preamp, it was made with NO knowledge of the situation.  Guy contacts me that he has bought a used preamp of mine and it is clicking on some volume settings.  He is third owner.  People flip gear, it happens.   Shows me photo of inside and someone has soldered things in there, changing caps, etc..  So I am helping guy out for cost of postage for a part I have on hand.  If it doesn't solve it, I will help him further at little cost to him even though I never even made the sale.  I would say that is not a Studebaker.  I am here, helping a guy who bought a used preamp that was hacked up by someone else.   He is not orphaned.