Never Owned a Tube Amp and Want Advice

Hi All, 

I have never owned a tube amplifier before and am planning to purchase one with a minimum of 50 watts per channel to mate with 8 ohm 88 dbl speakers.

My hope is experienced audiogoners will share their expertise regarding how to approach this. While I realize listening is the best way to learn about sound and compatibility; I want to learn a better understanding about brands with less maintenance and longer tube life, how to decide between mono or stereo,can a newbie play with bias or is auto biasing a better first choice, etc.

I would also appreciate what to look for in selecting a used tube amp to identify one that might be in need of repair. For example, with solid state depending on the brand, capacitor replacement can be more of a concern. Any advice on what to look out for or ask about with used tube amps would be appreciated.

A big question I have is how to understand the relationship between power tubes like E34's, 120.s, etc. and, I guess the driver? tubes like 12au7's and 12at7's. That  is to ask which is more critical to the overall sound of the amp? FWIW, I routinely tube roll with my preamps.  

I 've read through a number of threads but maybe someone can point me to good ones I may have missed. 

Thanks for listening,

Dsper
dsper
you can even pull power tubes out while its playing and the amp acts as if nothing happened

NOT RECOMMENDED... seriously

might be true for ralph's amps but this is something that is best NEVER to do
As long as this is going to be your first I have a couple of recommendations.  The Carver Crimson 275 is rated at 75 watts per.  It will run on 6550's, kt66, kt88, (supplied), and kt120's.  And the amp runs on a circuit that just allows the tubes to cruise along and allows the tubes to have a very long life.  You can put your hands directly on the power tubes on not get burned.  The drivers are 12 xx7 series, (I think 1 12ax7, and 2 12au7.  If you swap out these stock tubes to NOS you will have a giant killer that will drive just about any speaker you throw at it.  Auto bias and you can manually adjust bias to go more or less "tubey" sound.  And heres the kicker....
$2700 or less for new.
Another consideration is Don Sachs Kootenay 120 amp.  Another kt88 based amp.  Great piece.

might be true for ralph's amps but this is something that is best NEVER to do
Yes!- in case it wasn't clear, don't pull power tubes out of any amp that has an output transformer while its running.
There are good points about how much tube power you will need for your speakers.  They may not be a good match.  High power tube amps can be noisy, of course there are very quiet well made tube amps with 50 watts or more but well made and quiet tends to be expensive.  If you have the money go for a good one.  
Starting with a pre amp and SS amp may be an  easier way into tube sound and you speakers may be happier.  The Decware CSP3 is a very nice tube pre amp.  Decware also make very nice tube amplifiers.