According to the RIAA, It doesn't look good for physical media

The RIAA mid-year 2020 report is out and physical media, CDs or LPs, are not doing well. CDs still ship more units (10.6 million to 8.8 million), but LPs have surpassed them in $ amount shipped (CD - $130 million to LP - $232 million) for the first time since the 80s.

CD units shipped fell 45% from the mid-year 2019 report. LP units shipped gained 2.3%. Downloads also fell. Total Streaming revenues were up 12%. Total revenues for all categories were up 5.6%.

https://www.riaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Mid-Year-2020-RIAA-Revenue-Statistics.pdf

128x128tomcy6
CDs still ship more units (10.6 million to 8.8 million), but LPs have surpassed them in $ amount shipped (CD - $130 million to LP - $232 million)

This statement is misleading.
The statistic of dollar amount of LP’s exceeding CD can be explained by higher pricing of LP’s per unit. Vinyl can be more than 2x the price of a CD.

It is inevitable that units of LP will overtake CD.

Post removed 
Millerc, you have a point, definitely, but as I sit here listening to Steve Earle (who I think is a major a-hole) playing Christmas In Washington on repeat (CD, Luxman SACD D-05u, thru a Lyric integrated out to a pair of JBL L100 classics-my second system) I am a happy person. I do not care about there being a better recording/pressing of this, or any other music, its the pleasure it bring me, and it does. I understand your point, or I think I do, I simply find pleasure all around, even with CDs over this system. Oh my, do I ever love it!
Amount of CDs sold most likely doesn't include used CDs sale.  I tend to buy used on Amazon for the fraction of the price and often receive brand new or just missing cellophane wrapper.  Condition is not that important anyway, since I rip them to HD.  I also copy friends CDs to HD and to Audio CD-Rs.  That way I have legal copy (royalties paid), that is not included in CD sales numbers.
Amount of CDs sold most likely doesn't include used CDs sale.
Ditto vinyl. The used records business is thriving if prices are anything to go by. My Discogs collection value is going up faster than my 401k.