Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
That'll be awesome. The DBA concept is based on having a lot of different bass locations produce a lot of different modes that together average out. Both the Moab design and 4-10 design use woofers spaced very far apart. Not far relative to low bass wavelengths but still a good 4 feet apart. So one 4-10 with four 10" woofers will not be as good as four 10" subs like mine that can be spaced 10-15 feet apart. But a lot better than other subs. In terms of total energy it will be almost exactly what I have. But in terms of DBA, number of source locations, it will be a little less. So it will be real interesting as you go along to see how those two things compare. In any case, and any way you look at it, you are starting off with some awesome speakers!
randym86052 posts09-07-2020 8:00pmOldhvymec. First of all i did not say everyone knows i said everyone on here SHOULD know. Especially considering the level of knowledge everyone seems to have. Second 2 subs can give you everywhere bass if you know how to place them..

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hay I agree, especially if you're setting on one, ay.. :-)

Most folks get real tired of heavy bass bins (low riders under 24" tall) I did.  We all thought bigger was better. It was! It is! and it will stay that way. But getting it right, with 2-400 lbs speakers without wheels is HARD.

The easy way is to squat and grunt and place another 50-100 lb SUB, not a Bass Bin, BIG difference in what it does, and how it does it... 60 hz and down or 61-250hz (or both) in a Column, I didn't use to need wheels to place my columns at 375 lbs. I just gave them a big hug or a movers strap on my back and away we went.  BIG difference, a short sucker, place a bunch, and don't hurt your back, to boot. NOW I SAT. STACK and test... I get the height I need and the direction too, Above 60 is VERY directional...very  stereoish...

Lay the boxes on their back lock them together, or decouple between them...Stand them up and clock the sections. Bass is where you want, and not such a premium  paid for with floor space..

Just a mechanic's thing. An Old One too... ;-)

Regards
Congrats kesnel331 ! You will love the set up. I ordered mine bi-amp set up so I could bi-amp them. Did you do any special options? Ray