Ground loop feedback - cable wire issue

After installing an amp there was a ground feedback low hum noise. Muting ht system made it go away but not a good solution. Also, routed cable thru surge protector and this substantially reduced problem, but still slightly there. I don’t like using surge protector.

cable co came and grounded cable wire. But this did not solve problem and I still need Cable wire to go thru surge protector. Outlets in room all controlled by one circuit. All components except tv and amp share a surge protector. Tv goes thru power conditioner and amp plugged directly to wall.

disconnecting cable wire eliminates feedback noise, even after being grounded.

Seems amp related, not sure why.

emergingsoul
Yup, I went through the same thing as fuzztone with a cable box, and Power supply.
15.00 usd fixed like new, with a great little GL gizzmo. 3 or 4 (options) one was with a wire added to one of the devices, I didn't have to use it..

Safety first, protection second. I always protect MY expensive gear.
I have NEVER suffered SQ loss.

Great power supplies, in equipment go a long ways. Krell, Mcintosh. Pass, and a few others don’t squeeze where it REALLY counts, the Power supply. A ZERO noise floor for me...

A little test....

TURN the volume ALL the way up with nothing playing, on your vinyl rig, SDAC or something.. Is there ANY noise? No noise, you did a good job.. It’s hard to do for some folks.

A LOT of  listeners just say I can't hear it when it's playing so what's the difference... I guess it's just me.. I'm picky, REAL PICKY.  Even my 600.00 special system had NO noise, FINALLY.. Took a day or two..

Regards
agree with @fuzztone - it's likely related to cable and those products address those problems quickly if the cable ground is the root cause.

If for some reason that doesn't work it means that your new amp is interacting poorly with another component connected to it and sharing the same ground.  I just went through this with a SET amp I acquired.  Turned out the interaction was with my preamp.  I diagnosed the problem and ultimately resolved the problem using a Hum X to float the ground on the preamp.  

Besides floating the ground on the preamp I found that I needed to make sure my DAC wasn't sharing the same power strip/conditioner with the amp because my single ended ICs connecting the DAC to the preamp enabled the ground loop to remain intact.  Yes, it took several hours to track this issue down.

Also I don't think it's a good idea to float the ground on the amp or use a Hum X -type device directly on the amp (even though it will remove the hum).  The Hum X is only safe up to 6A draw and many amps can spike above that.  My 48W SET amp was drawing 4.5A at idle for example.  It's better to float the ground on the low draw component that's cause the poor amp interaction.  In my case my VAC preamp only draws 0.5A according to my measurements. You certainly don't want to create a safety hazard while addressing the ground loop/
An unusual trick that can work wonders is to flip the AC supply polarity of the offending device, in this case the preamplifier. Chassis to ground potential difference due to internal transformer current leakage can alter considerably with changing AC supply polarity and can potentially reduce hum/noise.

One can also measure this with a multimeter to determine the optimal polarity.
An unusual trick that can work wonders is to flip the AC supply polarity of the offending device, in this case the preamplifier.
You can only do this if the preamp employs a 2-prong AC connection!

Ground loops occur when different parts of the system share a ground in such a way that noise in the ground is imposed into the signal at an earlier part of the circuit. The best way to eliminate it is to break the common ground- usually at the amplifier end as this is where most of the current usually is. If you can float the amplifier's AC ground at the power cord (using a ground cheater available from a hardware store) and that eliminates the buzz, then there are steps you can take to shut things up.
 the marantz avr I have lacks a third prong vs the external amp which has a third prong.  Why is this?