Turned Off My Subwoofer ... And My Speakers Sound Great

I’ve had a pair of JA Pulsars (non-Graphene) for a couple of years now, and have been using them with a subwoofer. Today, I noticed that my Pulsars sounded very different. There was an expansion of soundstaging, the bass was more articulate and robust (i.e., it had more weight to it), and the highs really sparkled.

This was somewhat different from the sound to which I had become accustomed, so I looked on the panel and discovered that the sub had been turned off. Apparently, my wife had been dusting around my listening room and had accidentally hit the off switch.

I am kind of befuddled by this because I thought use of the subwoofer was supposed to achieve those sonically pleasing effects. Apparently not in my case. Have any ’Goners had this happen? I’m really happy with the "new" sound sans subwoofer, but continue to wonder why that is. I mean by all objective measures, the sub should improve the sound, not detract from it. I just don’t get it.
rlb61
"....A rule of thumb is 1 foot equals 3 millisecond"

Actually, the speed of sound is 1125ft/sec or 1.125ft/ms.  
dep14
This is why I have simply gone back to using speakers that are full range.
Same here - I prefer full-range speaker systems. No sub required.
@rlb61 
how did you integrate the JL sub with your system? line level or speaker level?
i have a JL E112 and found that by using a Jensen transformer to convert my amp speaker level output to line level that feeds the rca inputs, the most seamless integration was obtained.

Depends on how you set up your sub. When your speakers sound better that tells you that your sub setup was wrong. If your sub impacts the mid-range then your setup is wrong. Either the sub is poorly designed or your settings we're way off. 
@dpac966 ... I’ve tried it both ways. It has been run parallel with the mains from a second preamp output, and has been run in a loop with the sub output into the power amp input, thereby allowing use of the sub’s internal xover. In both instances, the sound feels compromised compared to running the mains full range without the sub.

I wonder also whether some speakers are meant to be mated with a sub. I recall hearing the Pulsars at various audio shows, and Jeff never used a sub. In addition, since the Pulsars are rear ported, I’ve been advised by some subwoofer industry big wigs to plug the ports which, of course, changes the essential character of the speakers that prompted me to purchase them in the first place. Oy vey!