Upgrade DAC from AMR DP777SE

I have been using an AMR DP-777SE DAC which is now having intermittent reliability issues. I'm considering replacing/upgrading to either a
1) Chord Dave
2) PS Audio Direct Stream or
3) APL DSD ($$)

I need to buy used, and I'm comfortable with that. My hopes are for reliability, deeper soundstaging, timbre distinctions (ie violin & viola) and, most importantly, emotional engagement. I'm now 70, so my hearing ain't what it used to be.

I realize that responders are expressing their opinions, and my system synergy & sound room acoustics impact everything. I'm only looking for a DAC. I do hope to hear from you. Thanks from Olympia, WA USA

Current second system: flac & hi rez files→ APL DP-777SE→ Pass Labs XP20→ Pass Labs XA100.5's→ Ridge Street Audio Design Sason speakers. Cabling is all Jena Labs.
128x128rubinken
That's a really nice dac rubinken sorry it's giving you trouble no chance AMR can fix it for you so it works? Or are you just sick of the AMR experience at this point?

In terms of a new dac I can't comment on any of your choices but if you're looking for "emotional engagement" try to give a listen to an Audio Note dac if you can. I own an older model and it's about music and not technology. As always YMMV.
Emotional engagement is certainly the #1 experience I'm looking for.  Whe I purchased my AMR DP-777SE, I compared it at length with the Luxman DA-06. They were both fine, but I clearly preferred the AMR.

I seem to be going through a series of odd problems, which I prefer not to deal with. Audio Note DAC's were not on my short list.  I'll look into them. Buying used adds a complication where a/b listening is not available to me.
It is very hard to find a DAC as smooth, engaging, and analog sounding like AMR, with the AMR you don't feel the need to invest in analog gear at all.
I owned the DP777, and still miss it.
Like yourself I moved on to Bricasti, it's a lot more neutral but has sound characteristics of an high-end analog system.

If you loved your AMR, don't bother with PS Audio or Chord and the likes. Look at Wavelength, Luxman etc.
You might also consider some of the better R2R NOS DACs like the Sonnet Morpheus, etc. as they tend to have a smoother or more analog sound that may be reminiscent of your AMR.  Best of luck. 
Thanks soix, I have never listened to or compared r2r DAC's. With this friggin'plague, it's not as easy as it used to be. Thanks