For anyone who moved from tubes to solid state — a question

I'm the happy owner of a fairly new tube preamp and monoblock amps. I love it and have bought new tubes. To have another option for warmer weather or possibly a second listening room, I got a very good solid state integrated. I've run the tube preamp with the solid state amp and it sounds quite nice. I love all tubes, too.

But this question is for you. Please forget the convenience factor for a moment, including the issue of tube replacement etc. Also, forget about those cases where you bought new speakers and needed more power, etc.

Assuming you had quality tube gear with sufficient power — here's the question if you abandoned tubes for SONIC reasons:

What what is that tubes couldn't give you?
What did your solid state gear do for you which was so much better that you divorced to marry anew?

I'm curious about what people list as the positive sonic reasons they love solid state (including A, AB, D, etc.).

Thanks.
128x128hilde45
@ditusa
Maybe you are right. I wasn’t sure if it was a question that even could be answered but I know that audiophiles are the kinds of people who compare things quite often and frequently try to keep track of the variables.
If this is an impossible comparison then knowing that is a positive piece of knowledge that I am open to, but it seems like lots of people here have some experience of comparison that they think is relevant.

Even an imperfect comparison gives some information -- unless, as you are contending, there are too many variables to learn anything from the comparison. it seems like you are asserting that no one can truly claim to know anything with confidence in their comparisons.

I’m agnostic about what other people think they know.

@mapman: Certain that no maintenance is needed; had the amp back to Jon about two years ago...just to check bias and evaluate overall performance.  He made a minor bias adjustment and declared it "operating perfectly."  

And remarkably, the tube amps are a tweaked Williamson circuit...a 73 year old design!

Yep, exceptions to all generalities!  Modern may generally be better, but not always!

Cheers!
I think it is possible to compare specific tube device A against specific SS device b, and make generalized assertions about how to best apply each type of technology, but have to be careful about generalized comparisons of tube versus SS gear in general.

The good ones are all in the same league and might win on any given day. There are more of those these days perhaps but certainly some older designs can still compete as well.

So just to complicate things even further, Class D SS amp technology is yet another whole new ball game and in general a much bigger threat categorically to tube amp technology than old fashioned Class A/B SS amps based on my experience to-date..

Class A SS amp technology is also always the other legitimate and more traditional challenger to tube amps.

Myself I would likely only consider using a tube amp with very easy load speakers to drive and high efficiency is desirable as well to be able to achieve higher SPLs from fewer watts.

Main reason is at my age I am looking to downsize if anything and keep it as simple as possible.

YMMV.

Then again, tubes glow and are way cool to look at. Been fascinated by them since just a kid.

Myself I would likely only consider using a tube amp with very easy load speakers to drive and high efficiency is desirable as well to be able to achieve higher SPLs from fewer watts.

Yes, this is the way to do it. Now that I’m using a SET tube amp with 48 watts pure Class A (with 300B driver tubes) paired with 96dB 10 ohm speakers I can’t imagine wanting to listen to music in a different configuration. SET tubes with plenty of headroom and easy to drive speakers. I simply never have heard anything more beautiful in terms of topology pairing, at least for my musical priorities. I really don’t get the allure of matching high powered SS amps with low impedance speakers - it feels like swimming uphill to get a good sound - and at the end of the day a sound that doesn’t stir my soul.