Oldest Recordings that sound “audiophile”

Wondering what older recordings people have heard recently that they think to be “audiophile” worthy?

For example I just listened to “You Keep Coming Back Like a Song” by Dinah Shore from 1946 and it sounded like Dinah was in the room with me.

Probably remastered but so what, that counts!

When was the first “audiophile” worthy recording made, I wonder? How far back can it be?
128x128mapman
@ivan_nosnibor ,

'From 1947 to 1950, excellent sounding mics were available, but they were expensive to make and uncommon and tended to be first reserved for high-profile, big-budget events.

I have two fine-sounding CD soundtracks, both in stereo, that were Hollywood films made in 1947:

The Ghost And Mrs. Muir  (Bernard Herrmann)
The Captain From Castile  (Alfred Newman)'

Those years from 1947 to 1950 were probably the most critical in all of audio.

In just a couple of years the industry went from live recordings on 78rpm shellac to taped ones on the 33.33rpm LP introduced by Columbia in 1948.

The move from heavy iron needled gramophones ploughing their way through a mere 4 minutes a side of  78rpm shellac to turntables with diamond stylii featuring up to 22 minutes a side of 33.33rpm vinyl with diamond stilli changed everything.

Even diehards like RCA and EMI, not to mention UKs Gramophone magazine were quickly forced to bow before the new fangled vinyl LP before long.

German WW2 tape technology soon took out most of the enormous labour of live recording. Recording live perfectly for 4 mins in one thing but 20 odd was nothing any performer fancied. 

Funny but this is the second mention of the Ghost and Mrs Muir I've seen recently (a friend had recommended it as lockdown fare).

Maybe I'll check out the movie.
@cd318,

Thanks for your post and the history info. I’d have to agree with you, those 3 years were maybe the most crucial for rapid changes in audio - some bridges crossed and some others burned, if you will. I enjoyed your synopsis, I like learning about this period. And evidently the increased bandwidth of lp’s helped to greenlight the implementation of stereo, too.

I have enjoyed The Ghost And Mrs Muir soundtrack, but I haven’t seen the movie in so long now I scarcely recall much from it, but it seems like I remember it having some interesting humor sprinkled through it. FTM, I have been meaning to see it again myself.
Fiedler Gaite Parisienne. First stereo shaded dog. The sonics are still unsurpassed.