Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
Post removed 
Squeak__king, interesting. I have not tried those, but would like to hear others report.
MC, I have no irons in this fire, but I don’t think you have given anyone the right information about how to get the best out of your Moabs. What do I mean? You are using a more or less budget integrated amp that has a street value less than a Dynaco ST70, that you yourself have mentioned that tube rolling makes little difference. Any amp that tube rolling does not significantly impact the sound flavor has issues. While I have not heard your integrated, the one review I could find online was just ok reading between the lines. I just don’t think you are getting anything near what you will out of your Moabs with this amp, the Moabs are on another level.

BUT, you have stated you are planning on buying one of the excellent (from all online reviews) Raven integrateds (I would love one). From my viewpoint, buying that quality integrated will show you what your Moabs can do, versus all the peripheral things you are doing now that may or may not have improved the sound when you have your Raven in place.

This is not meant to sound like a dig, just how I see it, YMMV.
That’s interesting jetter. I never really went to Miller’s virtual system and paid attention to the amp being used. I will say that I have considered Melody amps in the past. They aren’t typical Chi-Fi. They’re designed in Australia I think and manufactured in China, but the wiring etc. is meticulous, and they make a few really expensive and beautiful high end amps now. It seems that they have pared down their line-up a lot and stayed with the higher end pieces.

So, it may really be a lot better than a Dynaco ST 70, although I’ll agree that it’s likely you could get more out of the speakers in some ways with more power.