Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
@mahgister  As @lalitk has already pointed out, you totally misconstrued my post.  In a nutshell, it boils down to this (pardon the mixed metaphor): if you start applying tweaks within the first few days, you will never know if the changes you hear are due to the tweaks or due to the effects of break-in.  And knowing which of those it is would surely be valuable, at least to some people.
Someone just answer to that and like him i dont think that break-in takes months and applying some enhancer on connection cable, or removing vibrations etc are not AGAINST the product S.Q.

Like most you think product has a "flavor tone" and that a tweak changes this original "flavor tone" but this is completely wrong and superficial idea coming from a lack of understanding about "generic" design and the "specific" demands in the implementation of the design in the 3 embeddings dimensions....Improving the 3 embeddings is not changing some original flavored tone, it is making the product to be able to go at the level of S.Q. where it is able to go....

Embedding something is not like playing with tone controls at all... I have tone controls on my amplifier and very good one said my tech, but i dont need to use them at all, except in the beginning of my journey when i did not know how to make the better with my audio system; the tone controls were compensating for my ignorance partially....I dont need them at all now.... And the most interesting aspect of sound are not linked directly to tone controls only anyway, the room for example cannot be tamed with tone controls only sorry....

By the way i am like you and not an expert, except i systematically tried in the last 2 years without money to extract the maximum S.Q. from my audio system.... I have succeed and i speak only from my own limited understanding and daily experiences.... Most here are more knowledgeable than me on all engineering aspects and non engineering one also... But i am creative altough being ignorant.... :)
lalitk, In my experience, the best solution to avoiding "gear churning exercises" is to enjoy what we have. When I look for problems I usually can find them. The key for me is appreciating more than nitpicking. And if you have a system like Magister for creating good clean power, effective vibration control and good room acoustics, and can be done for not too much $$, then one can really appreciate what they have.
In my experience the gear we already have in our own room is most of the times, if the parts are minimally well choosen and optimally well embed, totally amazing and may be qualified with the word: very good audiophile experience... Choose carefully, dont pay too much, embed it rightfully and there it is, and you are at heaven’s sound door....

It takes no upgrade expanse most of the times, only thinking and listening experiments.....

I must go silent now.... Thanks for your patience.....

When you start to learn about something, anything, you start with the fundamentals. Then you progress from there over time. That is how things naturally work.

Or you can listen to some "guru" who skips the fundamentals altogether and jumps right to the "finer points" they have learned over the years so much better than everyone else. Oh, but YOU will bear the cost no matter what, even if your fundamentals are wrong. Oh did I mention you will take a pounding if you now try to sell those special expensive recommended "tweaks" that may or may not be so special anymore.

Some need a guru. Others, not so much.  Nobody needs a guru that glosses over the fundamentals.