Searching for a dac that matches the Marantz

I’m trying to phase out my Marantz ND8006 but I love the way it sounds (just not the way it looks). So I’m looking for a DAC that has the same character as the Marantz. I believe it has a ESS9016, but I guess that doesn’t mean a lot because of implementation is done by Marantz.  I’ve tried the Audiolab MDac+ That comes pretty close (I just don’t like the form factor)! It also uses Sabre Dac so could it be that that’s just the signature I’m looking for?
sjeesjie
The ND8006 isn’t known for having a high quality DAC implementation. Having said that I think the RME ADI-2 FS DAC might give you what you are looking for and a much better sound too vs. what you have now.
Well I find the DAC implementation of the nd8006 very impressive and I haven’t heard otherwise anywhere. But still, it’s filters are more to the mellow side than to the analytical side. The RME is slightly more analytical than neutral, no? So that alone would not be what I’m looking for.
The new Denafrips Ares 2 and Sonnet Morpheus might be up your alley. Pure DACs not streamers, however.
Has the OP listened to the RME in their system to claim it’s more analytical than neutral? I own one and it’s not analytical unless maybe ones system is already lean or bright, meaning their source such as streamer, transport or spdif cable is likely the issue. Don’t be fooled by a few who have stated this as most say differently including myself, and question the others had one in their system and was set up properly. It’s a outstanding DAC that is very revealing but it’s not analytical or fatiguing. Hopefully you have listened to the RME in your system... if not you should. All the online retailers offer a refund if not happy. The RME doesn’t soften things so if that is what you’re looking for the it will disappoint unless you go into the EQ and mess with the various filters. What the RME is revealing, engaging, great bottom end, huge stage and great PRaT. I’d say it’s probably the best component in my system and definitely best bang for the buck if not.
If you don’t like the RME ADI-2 then you should upgrade to a better CD player.  That Marantz isn’t known for having a decent DAC.