Can you tell me why I didn't like the Reference 3a MM's?

So I recently asked about a new amp on the Amplifier forum.  I got a lot of good advice and ended up with a Pass XA25.  I really like this amp and the sound.  I have been told by Reno Hi Fi, Pass Labs and B&W, all of whom I contacted, that the XA25 is under-powered for my B&W 705S2 speakers.  But it sounds very good.  However a little flat when the volume is low.

So I am looking for some more efficient speakers.  I tried a used set of Reference 3a deCapo MM's, but they did not have the clarity of the B&W's and sounded a bit muddy at times.

I am looking at Omega Super Alnico HO's.  But I am wondering if the full range driver sound is what I didn't like.  

Am I wrong in thinking more efficient speakers will sound somewhat better at a lower volume?  Can you possibly tell my why I didn't like the MM's?  Something about their design or build?

Any thoughts on the Super Alnico HO's?  I don't want to move down the speaker sound chain.

Thanks much!  Any other speaker suggestions welcome!  But not horns.  I am not a Klipsch fan.
128x128jgoldrick
jgoldrick....to minimize the merry go round, I would take the advice, and try the speakers, in a more optimum position, especially for the purpose of hearing the problems a speaker will have, being 1 ft off, two reflecting surfaces ( the ceiling and back wall ), and the proper " functioning " of the speakers. Unfortunately, ime, speaker and room interaction accounts for much of what we hear, and that is the facts. Based on the current situation, an eq might be of help, as well. BTW, when was the last time you heard a pair of Klipsch. The Heresy IIIs will actually do well in your current speaker location, although, they are a bit larger than a bookshelf speaker ( I am a Klipsch guy ). Good luck, and Enjoy ! MrD.
@jgoldrick Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying the preamp! I was just looking to help a bit regarding the "high gain" you were experiencing. The 12AX7 has an overall gain factor of 100 and the 5751 is 70, so both of these are considered high-Mu/high gain tubes. If you wanted to set the gears a bit lower and have more available range in the volume control, you can roll in a 12AT7 (gain= 60), 12AY7 (gain=45) or 12AU7 (gain=20). Best regards, Aric
I have been living with a pair of Reference 3a De Capo i speakers for 16 years the silk tweeter version.I run them on VTL tiny triodes at roughly 25 watts a side in triode mode.A marriage made in heaven.I would not blame the speaker.Its not the right match for your amp.I always choose my speaker first then do a deep dive into researching what sounds best for my taste.Tubes that dont sound to warm or Golden is my preference.Your mileage will vary.Peace
I would agree re: the Ref 3A's...the bass seems to have a bubble sound to it....ProAc makes a nice sounding speaker that you should like, the small one...the Tablette
@sounds_real_audio  I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by
"the bass seems to have a bubble sound to it".  It's not a descriptor that I have encountered before.  Could you elaborate further, please?