Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
mahgister- 
Controlling the noise floor of the electrical grid is more powerful effects on s.Q.

Its awesome. Unbelievable. I am working on embedding every inch of wire from the meter to the voice coils. 
"...a high end like Wilson audio..."

Since when has Wilson been accepted as high-end in this thread?

Is it only their million-dollar speakers that are crappy?

millercarbon
 OP
5,583 posts
08-13-2020 3:21pm
My aunt Bessie was stone deaf from birth. One day she comes over and we're playing music really loud, which we can do because being stone deaf no way aunt Bessie gonna complain, right? She comes downstairs (we rock out in the basement) and why is aunt Bessie all excited? Goes right up to one of the speakers, puts her hand on it, face beaming with joy, starts moving and mouthing, "MUSIC!!!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_the_Sound

Post removed 
But if the proposition is that different screw materials, in being softer or harder, can affix speaker materials more or less loosely than others, and that it is the changes in vibration to THOSE materials as a result that people can hear (e.g. vibrating speaker cabinet parts or whatever), then that would be measurable.
I was taught that the copper screws were used as little tuned shock absorbers for the speaker baskets. And they were to be loctited at the specific tension. The driver was simply going to click and you go in a star pattern until all were done up and checked with a second pass.

Mike never told me that the screws made a specific sound. Some people may have heard the improvement without understanding why - even so, the improvement exists despite not understanding how it works.

Kind of like gravity, it works even if you are totally ignorant of it.

Also I believe ( I was not told this by my employer) that the rate at which kenetic energy can be transferred into heat, will affect the shock absorber properties in this particular device. Softness is not the only consideration in the dynamic properties used in this particular application.

I cannot confirm whether or not Mike used Clio measurements or simply tuned by ear, or got the calculations form an engineer - I simply don't know.