Smoothest and best sounding turntable/cartridge combo up to $1600??

As the title of the thread reads, I am looking for recommendation for the best and smoothest sounding turntable/cartridge combo up to $1600.  I am replacing a restored and recently upgraded Thorens TD-145 turntable with a Audio Technica brand new 440MLb cartridge. I am finding that floating suspension turntables require more isolation against floor vibration.  Other than that, the table is very good. 

I also would prefer a more contemporary design.

Note: I will probably put the the Thorens on sale after reading the comments and recommendations to this thread.  Thank you for your feedback  

sunnyjim
I have a Nad c588 with Ortofon Blu. Got it for $700 veryhappy...list was 900 plus 200....$1,100...
Get a Technics 1200/1210 GR and a Ortofon RED. Then upgrade the cartridge as you get funds. The Technics will last a lifetime
Sunnyjim, you are unlikely to fine a better turntable than the Thorens in the price range you are looking. You are much better off spending the money on a new cartridge. There are many ways to deal with the foot fall problem. The first is a wall mounted shelf. Next is you can remove the bottom cover and slide some foam between the coils of the springs adding dampening to the suspension. Also cartridge compliance will have an effect but I am not sure how. It depends on the resonance frequency of the Thoren's suspension. Ideally, it should be down around 2 Hz. When you press firmly on the platter it should bounce twice every second. If it is bouncing faster it might start interacting with the tonearms resonance frequency which depends on the effective mass of the tonearm along with the weight and compliance of the cartridge. Putting a stiffer cartridge might stop the problem altogether. Your AT is listed at 10 X 10-6 cm/dyne.
Look for a cartridge at say 8 X 10-6 cm/dyne.  That is going to be hard to find in a MM cartridge. Soundsmith might make one. Not sure. There are many MC cartridges but you would have to have a step up devise. 
I would try the foam damping first and if it works go for a High Output Soundsmith or a Clearaudio MM cartridge. The Grados and Ortofons may be too compliant for your arm. I just had a brilliant Idea! Get a Nagaoka MP500. It is a fabulous cartridge for the money and it has a compliance of 8.5 X 10-6 cm/dyne. Read the reviews!  Get that, dampen the springs and save $800:)