Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
I’m just listening to a wonderful recital from the yellow label and the moment. Rachmaninov from Sergei Babayn and let me tell you it dosen’t get any better than this, with one dreamy piece after another and played to perfection. Definitely a must try, RV you’ll love it.
Jim204
I just completed my Olafsson Debussy& Rameau CD.
The pride of Iceland was born to play this French music !

Very well balanced , no great this or that , just the music as written with
the clarity of a mountain stream and as agile as a deer .

He makes the music sound like it was written just for you in any time and any place .He understands what a artist is , a servant of the music .

The path from Rameau to Debussy is there in spades . and a lovely lane it is .
5 .5 Stars from here !

I have for at least 40 years thought Rameau was in the line just below Bach .
https://youtu.be/wChgk4qq3Kc?t=4

Jim,

I just happened to listen the Babayan Rachmaninoff album yesterday.
I like the fact that he doesn’t play the pieces in order.  Just skips around between Preludes, Etudes Tableaux etc.
Particularly beautiful is his rendition of the Volodos arrangement of the Cello Sonata 2nd movement.  Almost as great as the master Volodos himself.