Whats on your turntable tonight?

For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1
Hole "Live Through This" original German pressing. No matter what one may think of her, she had talent.

Yeah, I’ve included the 1st Moby Grape album on a few lists, including Best Debut Albums and Perfect Albums. The album is particularly remarkable not just for the songwriting, but also the interplay of the three guitarists and singers, not unlike Buffalo Springfield, The Grape’s Southern California equivalent. The SQ of the recordings is, unfortunately, only average commercial, but still better than a lot from that year (’67).

I love the album to death, but was disappointed by it’s follow-up---Wow. They rebounded with their 3rd---Moby Grape 69, bunted on their 4th---Truly Fine Citizen, then came roaring back with 20 Granite Creek. After TGC they disintegrated, Skip Spence joining the ranks of Acid Casualties (Syd Barrett, Peter Green, Brian Wilson, Brian Jones), committed to a California State mental hospital. When Governor Ronald Reagan closed many of those facilities (compassionate conservatism at it’s finest), Skip was thrown out onto the street, living his remaining years wandering the streets of San Jose bumming cigarettes.

Jerry Miller is a seriously good guitarist, a favorite of a lot of players I’ve known. In The Grape he played a Gibson L5, a favorite of Jazz guitarists. Definitely the best guitarist to have come out of the mid-to-late 60’s San Francisco scene (no offence intended, fans of Jerry Garcia, Carlos Santana, and John Cipollina ;-). He and drummer Don Stevenson moved down to the Bay Area from Seattle, where they had been in The Frantics together. Bob Mosley was amongst the best SF bassists, along with Phil Lesh (The Dead) and Jack Casady (The Airplane).

For more of Chris Hillman, keep an eye out for his albums on Bluegrass label Sugar Hill. Really good music captured in excellent SQ.

@slaw I loved Hole. Not so much for their music but for the live performances. You never knew what you were going to get out of Courtney. I saw them three different times and every show was completely different.