Anyone using their Jolida JD 100 as a transport?

I'm looking to get a more detailed and dynamic sound out of my CDP. I'm thinking of hooking up an inexpensive DAC to my Jolida JD 100 CDP.

I have never used a DAC before, and could use advice on a decent DAC / digital cable combo for approx. $600-$800 (used).

My other option is to sell my JD 100 CDP and get a used Meridian 508.24 or Arcam CD23.

The rest of my system is as follows:
Speakers: Silverline Sonata II (due in two weeks)
AMP: BAT VK 200 (ss)
Pre: BAT VK 30 (tube)
I/C for source: Purist Venustas (in-transit)

Any advice / suggestions would be appreciated.
128x128pdreher
Distortion - I've been using Soliloquy 6.2i's, which I recently sold. I have tried GE NOS tubes in the JD 100, but preferred the stock tubes.

I should have my Sonata II's by the end of the month (waiting for a cash infusion from some stock sales). I agree that I may have a bit too much sweetness / warmth with the rest of my BAT setup. I'm starting to lean towards selling my Jolida JD 100, and going with a different ss redbook CDP (Arcam FMJ CD23 or Sony XA7ES), and doing some tube experimentation with my BAT VK 30 preamp.

I agree that I need to be patient with any additional changes and wait till I have my Sonata's to start with a new baseline.

I have Sol 6.2's right now. Good little speaker! I bet you're going to like the Silverlines. Good choice.

I used to have the Jolida paired with a Theta DAC, I replaced it with a CDP with volume control. I still miss the Jolida.

I tried a couple of pairs of GE tubes and didnt much care for either of them. In fact the JAN GE's were aweful in this player. I really loved a pair of smooth plate telefunken 12ax7s but they are pretty expensive.

However, a brand new matched pair of gold pin Electro Harmonix 5751's came very very close to the Tele's. I bought mine at Boi Audio Works for $38.00 a pair. I strongly suggest trying these.

You might also consider some of the EI brand 12ax7s. I tried the silvers and while good, they had a bit to much sparkle for my system.

I tried several powercords on my Jolida. All had some impact but my best results were with a Virtual Dynamics power 3 (used 1.5m about 100.00). I like the VD brand PCs but I had good results with Signal Cable, MIT, and Transparent brand cables as well.

To sum up. I would try a few changes, especially tubes, before you decide to change. The Jolida is one sweet and seriously capable CDP. I liked having the SS DAC along with the tube CDP. Some recordings sounded better on the DAC than tubes ...not many though!
Distortion... I've taken your advice and ordered some RCA NOS tubes from Andy @ Vintage Tube Services. Andy was very knowledgeable and helpful. I have already upgraded the power cord to a Cardas Cross.

My next project is to replace my BAT VK 200 amp & VK 30 preamp with a high quality integrated (trying to simplify things). I'll probably list my BAT gear tonite, along with a SinglePower tubed headphone amp.
All right. I've already sent an email to Andy asking for my spiff =).

I bet your going to like the sound with those in. If you dont, maybe try one more set of tubes and if it still doesnt work out, sell the whole setup and rest assured you gave it a thorough attempt.
Pdher, what integrated do you think you will find that can match your BAT combo? You have a seriously sweet match with those two. I was looking at a BAT VK-300 to replace my VK60 & my dealer told me not too. He said the 300 is VERY nice but not quite close to what I have. I would seriously think about what I was going to use in place of what you have before you sell. Good Luck.